Leave Shower Water in Tub to Harvest Warmth

To save on heating fuel in the winter, insert the drain plug in the tub when showering and leave it in afterward until the water is cool. It adds warmth as well as humidity to your home. It's such an easy thing to do! Do not do if you have little ones around who could get into the tub.

By Anne L from Green Bay, WI

Good idea :-) I stop up the tub as a reminder of how much water I am saving taking a shower rather than a bath. Ah, but I do love long hot baths for a treat ;-)

We do this to add humidity. I work the evening shift, so I call home to tell my daughter when it is time to bathe. She leaves the bathwater, which is scented with homemade bath salt mixture and essential oils. When I get home at midnight (4 hours plus later) I let the water out and rinse the tub. The whole house smells good and we have some humidity in the dry air.

I do this then use a pot to use the bath water to flush the toilet.