BathroomCleaning

Yellow Stains on an Old Porcelain Tub

One of our bathrooms has the original bathtub, it's 40+ years old. A drab yellowish stain covers much of the interior sides, especially towards the front of the tub. It has also lost any shine on the porcelain, too. I do not want to resurface the tub as I have been told this really doesn't hold up for a tub with daily, constant usage. What could I use to remove these stains? Thanks for any ideas!

Mam from Atlanta, GA

have you tried the mr. clean magic eraser? With it and a lot of elbow greese it might work. I have used it to remove old stains from a porcelain sink used outside in a waterfall. There is another product you might try it's called The Works..it's a very strong cleaner but I don't know if it will work for this but it's worth a try. Hope this helps.

Anonymous

Try spic and span

Our tub is like this also and I have tried everything....and nothing helps. It'e embetted in the tub itself. I just try to spray it down with Clorox clean-up or bleach water and rinse often and it does lighten it a little. At least it smells clean!

Anonymous

Us peroxide

After you get your tub cleaned you can put auto paste wax on the sides to make them shine. I wouldnt do the bottom as someone could fall.

Also, try cleaning your tub with window cleaner like Windex to remove soap scum and make shine.

I fill my sink/tub up with warm to hot water pour in a small bottle of clorox, stir from side to side and front to back to mix. Close the door (so pets & children will not get in it) go to work, bed or out for the day. When you come home after a near 8 hours you will have a white tub again, I promise!

If you have a water condition called "iron bacteria" it will react with liquid clorine bleach (clorox) and will stain clothes and fixtures a nice peach to orange color! What I would try is Sno Bol toilet bowl cleaner. Squirt a small amount on the stained area and scrub it around with the toilet brush. If it appears to remove the stain you can gradually work on the whole area. Remember this is a strong chemical. Don't get it on your skin or splatter in your eyes or breathe the fumes! Rinse well with lots of water. It can be hard on the metal drain components and gaskets if allowed to be in contact very long, so rinse it away quickly! An even stronger chemical that may work is muratic acid. That is what I used.....and it worked.......but be warned that this is a very strong chemical and you should not be careless with it or breathe the fumes!!!!

You may also want to try Bar Keepers Friend. It works removing iron stains i knonw.

Try Zud cleaner, it is like Comet but works better. It is awesome and takes rust stains out.

Try soaking the tub over night with a product called "Iron Out" this worked great on a terrible rusty yellow stain left on a tub by our last tenets. Nothing else even budged it. This is a before picture.

This is the after picture after one soaking, No scubing at all! The product Iron out can be obtained at most any Home supplie store like Lowes or home depot. Or most any Hardware store would probley order it for you. good luck.

I used bleach to clean my bath tub and it left yellow brownish stains just like your picture. Scrubbed and scrubbed with every product and even more bleach. Nothing worked until I tried Hydrogen Peroxide-oral rinse! I couldn't believe my eyes! All I did was put a little Hydrogen Peroxide on a wash cloth and with one wipe all the stains disappeared. No scrubbing at all.

worked!!

Anonymous

After reading about using hydrogen peroxide oral rinse, which I did not have. I tried some Colgate baking soda and hydrogen peroxide toothpaste. It worked! I just put the paste on and let it sit for about half an hour and then came and rinsed it off.

Thanks so much for the great advice. I was having this problem - a horrible crusty orange appeared in my tub after trying to bleach some yellowy stains. I tried all manner of cleansers, magic eraser, even a razor blade - but nothing budge this stain.

I tried hydrogen peroxide as suggested on this thread and it worked miraculously. The stain disappeared in less than a minute... almost upon contact. Thanks again! I was really in a panic when I thought I'd ruined my bathtub!

I tried every thing from hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, even stainless tooth paste, I didn't try "Iron Out" because I read on many sites the smell makes one feel sick. Then I read someone's post about using, "salt and fresh lemons" to my surprise left it over night, all the stains were gone. I have to say I did this twice.

You'll need plenty of lemons, depending on your stains two Diamond Crystal, start by mixings small amounts together make a paste and apply to the stain areas, use the lemon to scrub, even the skin part. Again its a miracle, my tub looks brand new. Do this late evening after everyone showers, leave overnight the next morning fill the tub with very hot water leave on for about 20minutes.

A bit of advice be cautious make sure you know whether your tub is porcelain or "iron cast enamel" (my tub).

From years of using Fantastic with bleach to clean bathroom tiles the bleach ran down into tub causing horrific yellowish brown rust streaks. I was in fear that my landlord would see it and have a fit.

I'm so happy to see a clean white tub, lesson learned no more cleaning tiles with bleach. I hope this help anyone reading this post.

JR NYC

I had some yellow brown stains on my old porcelain tub. I believe my cleaning service attempted to clean the tub with some type of harsh chemical. I tried just regular hydrogen peroxide and it was fading the stain. Then I used some Aquafresh extreme clean toothpaste- with whitening action (just my toothpaste I use) as I was spreading the toothpaste I could see the stain completely disappearing. Left it on for 10 minutes or so, but don't think it was necessary to even leave sitting. After rinsing the stain was completely gone!

I recently tried using kaboom foaming spray and it worked miracles on my walls and grout but left my porcelain tub covered in orange stain that I could not scrub away. Before going out to the store to buy more expensive cleaner, I turned to the internet to find out what my best course of action would be.

After reading I came across a few that of course led to more expensive cleaning agent, but I did find hydrogen peroxide as a suggestion I ran up stairs grabbed my bottle and to my eyes surprise it faded about 50% I rinsed with hot water and repeated and it is now completely gone within about two min. time thank you so much for this helpful hint! Very pleased.

Only one thing will remove that to your satisfaction and that is called, " Iron Out" . It is sold in both spray liquid and powder form. Use the powder form as it is the stronger of the two.

Sold at Lowes

You'll be shocked at how sparkling white that tub will be.

Use Diamond Crystal salt and Lemon mix together in a paste and apply to stains on the tub, scrub with the lemon as well the lemon skin, leave over night. I tried everything from Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda even stainless tooth paste nothing worked, I didn't using "Iron Out" because I've read it has a very harsh and chemical odor. My enamel tub which was installed in 1928 way before I moved in looks brand new.

BAR KEEPER'S FRIEND works fantastic!!! I have read Mr. Clean sucks, i've used Bleach I've used Comet, none of them work. I took the advice of someone and went out and bought "BAR KEEPERS FRIEND" (it can be found next to the Comet in most grocery stores) you will not find it at the 99cent type stores. MY SINKS ARE PURE WHITE and all I used is light scrubbing with a SPONGE!! I was so happy!!!