Maintenance and RepairHome Improvement

Cleaning vs New Liner for Pool

My above ground pool was 'let go' last winter, it was green and slimy. I have been at it for months and am about half way there, should I persevere with chlorinating, scrubbing and vacuuming or get a new liner? Has anyone got any better cleaning tips?

A.C. from NSW, Australia

I feel your pain. We too have had many problems with our above ground pool. New liners are so expensive, so one time my husband power washed the slimy liner.It worked great and we got a few more years out of that liner. You just have to be very careful. We came to the conclusion that if we were going to have to replace it we might as well try everything before investing more money in a new liner.

I'm not a professional so the final decision is yours. But if you think it can't be saved, try everything you can think of. Also, the best money saving tip I can give you is to stop buying chlorine and just buy bleach. It's the same thing and you can still use the PH tester. Chlorine and Chlorinated bleach have the same ingredients, this is one of the pool businesses dirty little secrets. I hope this helped. Happy Scrubbing, Sonya

Oh my gosh. You do not need a new liner just because of the grime. When you put in the chemicals to get it ready for use, that will clear up a lot of it. Make sure you dip out everything you can first, if it is empty, then your job is easier. Use liner cleaner, a big brush and get to it. When we replaced our liner, out of need, because of wear, it cost us $3000.00. If you can clean it do so!

Go to this web site: www.poolspaforum.com they will be able to help you out.

Have you tried cleaning it with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda? That might work.

All we do is flock our pool every year to get it ready. After you flock it all the yuck stuff falls to the bottom, then it is easier to vacuum it all out. Then just shock it really heavy for a few times. It should be fine after that.