Updating a Lamp

After redoing my guest room, my lamp did not match the decor. Instead of purchasing a new one, I simply covered an existing one with fabric to match the room. This is a great way to recycle an outdated lamp.

Approximate Time Less than 30 minutes

• lamp
  • fabric
  • craft knife
  • rubber band
  • ribbon or cord

1. First, remove the shade from the lamp.
  2. Center lamp base on piece of fabric large enough to cover all sides of the base to just below the socket.
  3. Using a craft knife, cut a small "x" near the base where the cord is located. Thread the cord through the cut. (You can apply Fray Chek around the slit if fabric frays easily.)
  4. Gather fabric loosely around base. Arrange fabric so that the folds and gathers are evenly spaced around the lamp.
  5. Secure with a rubber band at the neck of the lamp just below the socket.
  6. Fold raw edges of fabric to the wrong side (in towards lamp, and tuck under the rubber band.
  7. Tie ribbon or cord around neck of lamp to cover the rubber band.
  8. Ad

9. Reattach the lamp shade.

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

Updating a Lamp

What an original idea! Beautiful job!

Great idea. I also liked the shade. Can you tell me where you got it?

Beautiful! and my favorite shade of blue. Thanks for sharing

Blue is my favorite color. Such a novel idea. Looks beautiful. Good job!

Thanks for the compliments. This is really an easy project. About the lamp shade, it came on the lamp and my sister-in-law gave me the lamp. So, I'm not sure where it came from. Sorry!

This is a very beautiful idea! Great job... I have some old lamps I think I am going to use this idea on!

I am new here and I am also wondering how to begin a project post. If anyone can help me, please send me a message... Thanks...

My revamped lamp; I call what I did: "rag tied". I got some metal leaf charms from Etsy.com & put one on each corner of the shade & added dollar store vines.

Many years ago, I read a similar suggestion. It called for measuring the height of the lamp and adding inches for a casing at the top and bottom. Those were sewn fo make a casing at each end. The fabric was about one and a half times the width of the lamp. Elastic was threaded through the casing and the fabric was gathered and the elastic ends sewn together. It was then slipped over the lamp, gathering at the top and bottom. Easy to take off and wash. Not sure if I am being very clear. I got compliments as the fabric I used picked up colors of the room.

Updating an Old Lamp
Updating an Old Lamp
Crafts Home Decor DecorationsNovember 12, 2007
Tile Backsplash
Updating a Tile Backsplash
Photos of wine bottle lamps with decorations.
Making a Wine Bottle Lamp
Teapot Lamp
Making a Teapot Lamp
Uses for an Old Lamp, Old Lamp with Red Shade
Uses for an Old Lamp