Preventing a Cat from Spraying

My male cat is fixed and spraying all over his litter box. What can I do?

By Yolanda

Hello,

Please take him to his Veterinarian, there could be a urinary track problem going on.

Talk to your vet first to rule out any underlying medical issues. If all checks out fine, then you need to ask yourself some questions. Do you have any other cats? If so, cats can be territorial. Rule of thumb: Always have one more cat pan than you have number of cats. Also you may need to have the cat pans spread out away from each other. Kitties like their space. Next question. Any changes in the household? Cats can be easily upset and react accordingly. Some changes can be easily adapted by your cat. Some can't. New people, new furniture, different scents, people relationship problems?

If it is a new pet, some pets, just like people don't really like the other one's personality. You may have to have your vet help you with this one. You say the cat is spraying all over his litter box. Not quite sure what you mean. If he is spraying over the top of the edge, try different litter pans to help contain the problem. If he is spraying outside the litter box and not inside the litter box. Could be multiple things. Is it being kept as clean as he likes it? Some are real picky and won't tolerate much waste in the pan. I scoop my pans 2X a day (4 males and 1 female) and I don't have any problems.

Does he not like the litter that you are using? Some are large pellets and some cats don't care for the feel on their feet. Experiment with different types of litter. I use a cracked pine. Cats seem to like it, pleasant smell, easy to clean and it keeps the odor down. It comes in scoopable and non-scoopable forms. If you are using a litter pan liner, he may not like that. Personally, liners never worked well for me. Good luck, just don't give up. Trying to find out what the problem is can take persistence. Until you can speak "cat" you will have to play Sherlock Holmes to find out what he is trying to tell you.

July 12, 2011 Flag

I have a ten month old tom cat that has just started "spraying". He's going to the vet's on Thursday to be neutered, but in the meantime how do I stop him from doing this, and how do I get rid of that awful smell?

By Nat

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Nature's Miracle is a good product for the smell, but honestly until he's fixed, there's not much you can do. He's marking his territory.

The is a product called Comfort Zone with feliway (onlynaturalpet.com) and many pet stores. It is pricy. It comes in a spray and diffuser. Cats will not mark where it is sprayed. It works very well (spray is best, diffuser helps) but you must use it daily, or even twice daily. It is the only thing I know of to help break this habit. Natures Miracle is great for accidents that have already happened. If you have clothing/bedding with urine odor, put 1/3 cup Borateem in your wash load to remove it.

Yes they will spray where the feliway is. I ordered the spray and the diffuser and neither have worked.

June 3, 2010 Flag

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a home remedy to prevent my male cat from spraying. I can't get him neutered until the end of April and the smell is killing me.

I found some remedies for cleanup, but I think they sell sprays in stores to prevent it. Also, any input on other recipes for cleanup would be helpful. All the ones I found involve white vinegar, water, baking soda, peroxide, and dish liquid. Thanks.

By Beth from Martinsburg, WV

Answers:

Preventing a Cat from Spraying

I have a male cat with the same problem. I have used Comfort Zone with feliway with great success. There is a spray and a diffuser. I liked the spray best, but it works best with both together. It is pricey and can be purchased from many of the big pet sites on the internet. It is made by Farmam. Just follow the directions. It really works. (02/02/2010)

By Lizzyanny

Preventing a Cat from Spraying

This may sound weird, but dilute vinegar with water and spray the areas where he is spraying and it helps. They hate the smell of it. Also, could be a UTI and that's his way of telling you. If it is that, then it cannot go untreated because it could cause blockage and if that happens it's over a thousand dollars to get fixed and they'll need surgery. That still doesn't always work. A friend of mine spent 3 grand and still had to put the cat down. (03/19/2010)

By kricket143

February 1, 2010 Flag

We just received a very nice, gently used couch from a family who has a dog. Our cat has decided that he needs to mark his territory with urine. I know how to get the smell out, but how do we deter the cat from going there again?

Laura from Chicago, IL

Answers:

Preventing a Cat from Spraying

I seem to remember seeing a spray product made especially for this problem. You spray it on the item that needs "marking" by the animal. I'm sorry I don't remember the name. (07/22/2006)

By Carol in PA

Preventing a Cat from Spraying

The goal is to make the couch "non-threatening" or intrusive to the cat. So make it smell like something your cat loves. You might try leaving some of the cat's favorite kitty treats on the couch, or even slipped in the cushion cracks for awhile (if they're non-staining). Associating the couch with food will usually help a cat to decide to spray elsewhere.

You can also rub a soft cloth on your cat's face (around the whiskers, the way cats rubs against corners, etc), then wipe the rag on the couch, so that to your cat, the couch smells "secure." These are fairly mild approaches that may make a difference. Good luck. (07/22/2006)

By Ingrid

February 11, 2006 Flag

Any suggestions on how to stop a cat from spraying on our sliding door? I wash the sliding door everyday, the cat comes right back and does it again.

Peggy from Gardnerville, NV

Answers:

Preventing a Cat from Spraying

I have the same problem. I have been using vinegar, but the cat that keeps doing this just moves to another place. I finally installed a radio by my front door and this works for that door. I reckon it's the noise. The spray cleaners with vinegar base work too, but like I said, they just move to another spot. I will be watching this too to see what others say also. I wanna know too! (02/10/2006)

By kattankerous

Preventing a Cat from Spraying

Is your cat a pedigreed animal you plan to breed? If not, having him altered might solve this problem. I've never heard of a 'fixed' cat spraying. (02/11/2006)

By Mom2fur

Preventing a Cat from Spraying

It isn't my cat that is spraying, my cat has never been outside. I have not seen the cat that is doing it, has to be a neighbor cat. (02/11/2006)

By Poco

Spraying cat
Getting a Cat to Stop Spraying Inside
Pets CatsJune 3, 2010
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
Thief Breaking into Car
Preventing Auto Theft
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
🎉
🎄