Removing Rust from Vintage White Jacket

I need to safely remove rust stains on 60's era white GI-Joe jacket. Fabric is sturdy cotton. Jacket is decorated with small metal pieces and I don't want to damage or discolor the metal. Thanks.

By Renae V from Southbury, CT

Lemon juice or vinegar will do the job. And if that doesn't work I would try soaking it in hydrogen peroxide until the stain is gone or almost gone then rinsing it with cold water, then washing as usual. May need to repeat the above.

I had rust stains on a pillow and it worked.

Source(s): good luck.

Cut a lemon in half, squeeze the juice on the rust spots and hang or lay in the sun to dry. Should work.

Yellow Out. Excellent product for rust, bleach burns, any yellow like a charm. Can be purchased at Walmart, Lowes, Ace.

If it's washable I would make a paste of the Bar Keepers Friend and use that to clean the stains. It doesn't have to be very wet as it's a paste that works well on the rust. Then you'd just throw it in the wash and wash gently. If it's not washable you can still use it - just contain yourself to the actual stain and use very little water. I've never had it fail to work.

I have had very good success at removing rust stains from fabric and counter tops using a product called 'Whink' (available in the detergent section at better hardware stores and supermarkets). This product contains acid, so use sparingly - also do not get this on bare metal as it can dull the finish. Once the rust stain has dissolved, launder or wash normally to remove any residue.

Home and Garden Cleaning StainsJuly 26, 2009
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Rust and Peeling Blue Paint on Car
Removing Rust from a Car or Truck
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal