Browsing: Uses for Plastic Grocery Bags

Quilt Batting With Recycled Plastic Bags

I normally use cloth bags for groceries, but occasionally forget to put them back in the car, so I have a few plastic bags in the house. I picked up a footstool with a vinyl top and wooden legs at a yard sale for $1.00. I wanted to use left-over material from the curtains to cover the vinyl. I also wanted it to have a quilted look.

Rather than buying quilt batting, I decided to recycle plastic grocery bags. I flattened a dozen bags and added a backing, then tacked them together. I cut my material the size I needed for the stool cover, then used the sewing machine to quilt the bags and backing to the material. This gave me a thinly quilted pad which I finished with material to cover the stool. I would NEVER suggest using plastic grocery bags for a real quilt, but they are quite durable for a stool cover and I recycled them.

By Dianne from Wilsonville, OR

I think that using the plastic bags to make a dog's bed would be good if it is outdoors in a house. Seems like the bag would add insulation in the winter time.

A recycled market bag made from plastic grocery bags.
Uses for Plastic Grocery Bags
Crafts QuiltingJune 11, 2008
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Thrifty Quilt Batting Ideas
Saving Money on Quilt Batting
Two soldiers photographed fighting in WW II.
Did They Have Plastic Bags in WW II?
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 3:11:59 PM on 10.0.1.210 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.