Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Quilt Batting With Recycled Plastic Bags

I normally use cloth bags for groceries, but occasionally forget to put them back in the car, so I have a few plastic bags in the house. I picked up a footstool with a vinyl top and wooden legs at a yard sale for $1.00. I wanted to use left-over material from the curtains to cover the vinyl. I also wanted it to have a quilted look.

Rather than buying quilt batting, I decided to recycle plastic grocery bags. I flattened a dozen bags and added a backing, then tacked them together. I cut my material the size I needed for the stool cover, then used the sewing machine to quilt the bags and backing to the material. This gave me a thinly quilted pad which I finished with material to cover the stool. I would NEVER suggest using plastic grocery bags for a real quilt, but they are quite durable for a stool cover and I recycled them.

By Dianne from Wilsonville, OR

By

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By JANET. (Guest Post)06/12/2008

I think that using the plastic bags to make a dog's bed would be good if it is outdoors in a house. Seems like the bag would add insulation in the winter time.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.