Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Financial Responsibility for Funeral Costs

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Flowers on a grave.

Planning for your funeral expenses helps reduce the stress on your loved ones in their time of grief. This guide is about financial responsibility for funeral costs.

Here are questions related to Financial Responsibility for Funeral Costs.

Question: Who is Responsible for Funeral Expenses?

My mother in-law remarried 8 years ago. They live in my mother's home and he will continue to live there after her death. She has let her life insurance lapse and she is now 80 years old. If she died first who should be responsible for paying for her funeral?

By Harriet W.

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [5]02/06/2014

Red Hatter has some very sensible advice. This is for your husband to discuss with his mother, and it depends very much on how you wish to celebrate her life after her passing. Many people prepay for their funerals, so that their children are not burdened with expense, nor spend far more on a show for the community than the parent would want.

Question: Who Is Responsible for Funeral Expences?

My partner left his wife and came to live with me. We were together for 2 years. He never divorced is wife and he has now died. I've been told that his wife is the next of kin so she has to arrange the funeral and handle the cost. Is this right?

By Luela from Lancashire

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]11/17/2013

I would think that would be right, but then on other hand if she is resentful of the situation she might not be inclined to do so. That being said I would never admit to having a married man live with me. If his wife doesn't do the funeral and you don't want to do it, turn him over to the country as being indigent. Unless he has a bunch of money in savings and you can get to it, in which case use that. You aren't really entitled to have anything of his other than what you purchased together. Did he have a will and did he by any chance have pre-made funeral plans.

Question: Legal Responsibility for Funeral Expenses

I am legally married to a woman who recently passed away. Her family decided to pull the plug and I was present during that decision. Now they want me to pay for her funeral, but we haven't been together for more than 14 years. Am I legally responsible to pay the funeral cost?

By DP

Most Recent Answer

By elva09/24/2013

Yes, some state the spouse is responsibility, and also you can donate the body to science and it want cost you a thing or you can just have the body burned and throw the ashes to the wind. Since you have been seperated for so long there may not be anything legally that ties you to her, her family can go half with you on the funeral, and I will check and see if there was an insurance policy!

Question: Financial Responsibility for Funeral Costs

If two people are not married who is legally responsible for funeral costs and medical bills?

By Norma

Most Recent Answer

By Grandma J [46]10/26/2012

Unless you have paper work drawn up, the information will be requested of your family...legal family. Get some power of att and executor work done at the lawyers. You might end up with a pauper's funeral or cremation when you want something else.

Who's responsible for a funeral when there is a spouse?

By Linda

Most Recent Answer

By cettina [74]07/09/2010

The fact that you are asking means that there is a problem somewhere. while the answers given are the best ones in the circumstances, it would be wise to make sure that you yourself wont have a problem like this ever! I have put aside money in a special bank account which i have told my daughter about, its actually written in my will with the a/c no. So that there will be no problems in the future and so that my ex-husband wont be able to touch them. they are written in my will as funeral expense account. Worth keeping in mind.

Solutions: Financial Responsibility for Funeral Costs

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!