Apple Jelly Not Setting

I am making Apple Jelly. It will not set, I have not had this problem before. It was boiling for over 30 minutes.

Best AnswersAnswer this Question

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By Carolyn (Guest Post) 12/09/2008

Some of my jelly didn't get thick enough this summer. When I open a jar I stir in a small amount of Instant Clear Jell which I bought at a local bulk food store

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By kate 8 31 12/18/2008

I just went through a nightmare! I made 4 different batches using different pectins. I then found out that because I was using juice that was my problem. Apples only have natural pectin in the core and peels, so using juice makes it difficult to get it to jell properly. Adding lemon juice helps. I have yet another batch that I plan to experiment with tomorrow.

I will never attempt jelly from juice again, Its always best to cook apples (core and all) down and use the juice from that.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By PENNY K 15 562 12/08/2008

Pectin is made from green apples. Did you have any in it?
Boil it longer is only thing I can think of, to concentrate the pectin.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Margaret 13 124 12/09/2008

Several years ago I made some mulberry jelly that didn't jell. I didn't want to go through the whole process again. Sooo...we had nice mulberry syrup for our pancakes. Apple syrup sounds pretty good. Try it.
Margaret from Denton, Texas

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Louise B. 6 2,508 12/11/2008

Use pectin that you buy in the store. Certo is the brand that I use, but there is a store brand as well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Here are questions related to Apple Jelly Not Setting.

Question: Apple Jelly Won't Set Up

My apple jelly won't set. Can I recook it and will it work if I do?

By Allan

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No