Browsing: Jelly Not Setting

Apple Jelly Not Setting

I am making Apple Jelly. It will not set, I have not had this problem before. It was boiling for over 30 minutes.

Margaret

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Some of my jelly didn't get thick enough this summer. When I open a jar I stir in a small amount of Instant Clear Jell which I bought at a local bulk food store.

Best Answer

I just went through a nightmare! I made 4 different batches using different pectins. I then found out that because I was using juice that was my problem. Apples only have natural pectin in the core and peels, so using juice makes it difficult to get it to jell properly. Adding lemon juice helps. I have yet another batch that I plan to experiment with tomorrow.

I will never attempt jelly from juice again, Its always best to cook apples (core and all) down and use the juice from that.

Pectin is made from green apples. Did you have any in it?

Boil it longer is only thing I can think of, to concentrate the pectin.

Several years ago I made some mulberry jelly that didn't jell. I didn't want to go through the whole process again. Sooo...we had nice mulberry syrup for our pancakes. Apple syrup sounds pretty good. Try it.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

Use pectin that you buy in the store. Certo is the brand that I use, but there is a store brand as well.

Making strawberry jelly.
Jelly Not Setting
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesDecember 8, 2008
baby sleeping by grass
Setting Up a Green Nursery
Apple Cookie Recipes
Apple Cookie Recipes
Make Your Own Sparkling Apple Cider, Two glasses of sparkling apple cider.
Make Your Own Sparkling Apple Cider
Leftover Jelly
Uses for Leftover Jelly or Jam
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 9:37:06 PM on 10.0.2.6 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.