Spanish Moss in Lattice Shades Porch

This idea will be best where the snow does not blow. I live in Key West, FL. The hot sun just keeps on shining on my lattice laced porch. In order to keep my windows open, and block the heat, I needed a privacy shade. I bought some Spanish moss, and stuck in the the lattice holes. The moss is like an air plant. No soil needed, and with a water spray a day they flourish.

Source: Selena H.

By Cindy from Key West, FL

Great idea. Thanks.

It may not be a problem growing it on an arbor but I would keep an eye out for bugs.

I grew up in lower SC where we had those lovely live oaks draped in tons of Spanish moss.As a little girl I got the brilliant idea to turn it into ballgowns, bridal veils and shawls.

Each time I would break out in rashes and itching. My mom would have to treat me for "chiggers and red bugs" (at least that is what she called them and I had to soak in tubs of some purple solution to kill them because they get under the skin).

This may only occur in moss attached to trees but you might check with the University in Miami and see what they suggest. It really does sound lovely and appropriate for your area.

plants shading porch
Creating Shade on a Porch
Home and Garden Home Improvement Patio and DeckingNovember 29, 2008
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
Uses for Lattice
Uses for Lattice
Removing Moss from a Roof, Cleaning Moss off Roof
Removing Moss from a Roof
🎄