Keeping Yarn Tension From Becoming Too Tight

I am just starting to learn how to crochet. How can I make sure that my yarn tension does not become so tight that I cannot get my hook in the loop?

Pam from North Carolina

Remember to relax your hands. Also bring the chain farther down on the hook to where the center section is when you chain. That will keep your chains large enough for you to work into. The first row is always the most challenging so be patient with the process. It takes time at first, then it gets easier.

Being a right-handed crocheter, I loop the thread over my left index finger (pointer), under middle finger, over ring finger and under little finger - this helps me control the tension. Good luck with your progress in learning - you'll never regret learning how to crochet!

Relax, get a mental image of nice, even stitches, and do several practice rows. Crocheting is a very individual sport. You'll find what works for you.

I have searched everywhere for this item. Last month in one of the monthly yarn,knitting, and crocheting magazines I saw this device that fit on the index finger (like a ring) and passed across the palm of the hand-right where the fingers bend. Could you help me find it. I've been crocheting for the last 40 years and I still have problems with it. i would really appreciate it.

shroggi/Sandi

Crafts CrochetJanuary 9, 2007
Tight Screw
Loosening a Tight Screw
knitting needles
Using Eyelash Yarn
Repair person sewing on a machine.
Adjusting the Tension on Your Sewing Machine
Trellis Yarn Necklace
Making Trellis Yarn Jewelry
🎄