Crock Pot Ham and Beans

This is cheap eating at its best. Really good food for scraping by at the end of the month when your cash gets low.

Ingredients

• 1 lb. dried great northern beans or any other beans of your choice, including mixed beans
  • 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
  • Ad
  • 1 large sweet onion, chopped coarsely
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1 lb. smoked ham or ham hocks (I use packaged diced ham)
  • 6 cups water or broth

Directions

Sort beans overnight with enough water to cover them or, you may sort them and place in a saucepan with 2-inches of water to cover. Bring to a boil; boil for 3 minutes, then cover and remove from heat. Allow to sit for one hour after boiling, but don't lift the lid. Whichever method you use, rinse and drain the beans before placing them in the crock pot.

Put the rinsed beans, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, parsley, cloves, ham or ham hocks into the crock pot along with 6 cups of water or broth. Cover crock, and cook on LOW for about 8 hours, or until beans are tender. Skim any excess fat, if necessary, before serving.

Serves: 4

By Connie from Cotter, AR

sounds delish. what kind of broth would be best?

We have always loved ham and beans. We just haven't eaten them often because of the gas problem, and we don't want to always have beeno around. So we don't eat this good dish much anymore. If you know of some way to stop this problem, please let us know.

would veg broth work its all I have? Or beef

boullion cubes.

Funny I was just thinking I HAVE to use the ham hocks

I picked up at the store two days ago. I will make this

in the morning. Thank you for reminding me.

Perfect timing. I just found a hamhock in the freezer. Hubby says pinto beans are best for no gas. Or put beans in a pot and heat to boiling. Add a little bit of baking soda, cook for a few minutes, rinse and add to recipe.

A bowl of ham and bean soup with corn bread.
Slow Cooker Ham and Bean Soup Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes CrockpotJune 2, 2008
Recipes Using Leftover Ham, Spiral sliced ham.
Freezing Leftover Ham
simmering crock pot
Cleaning a Crock Pot
crochet strap for Crock Pot lid
Making a Crochet Crock Pot Strap
Scattering of dried pinto beans with red peppers and cilantro. Cooking Dried Beans
Freezing Pinto Beans
🎉
🎄