Use Your Potato Ricer to Remove Moisture from Spinach

If a recipe calls for frozen spinach with the water squeezed out, I have a great and easy way to do this. No more do you need to waste valuable paper towels and make a mess. I use my potato ricer. Just put the thawed spinach in the potato ricer and clamp down the top portion and squeeze. With one or two squeezes, the spinach is completely dry and ready for your recipe.

Source: I got this tip from a friend of mine a long time ago when we were both personal chefs.

By Kathy from Sylvania, OH

That is an AWESOME idea! Thank you! Now I have to remember where I put the ricer...

I don't have a potato ricer. I just squeeze out the thawed spinach in a clean kitchen towel, then throw the towel into the laundry.

I don't have a ricer either, so I just thaw my spinach in a colander over a bowl, then hand-squeeze the rest of the moisture out.

Try it with shredded potatoes, too.

It never occurred to me to use paper towels or even a cloth towel. I just let the box of spinach thaw, then pick the spinach up in my hand and, um, SQUEEZE it over the sink. If I had a ricer I'd try that method though, as it sound easy.

That is a GREAT idea and one worthy of using! Thanks!

A few years ago I saw a food show host use a green kitchen towel. You don't have to worry about it staining the towel. I don't have a green towel but I use a dark towel to get the spinach really dry.

I love clever ideas like this. Thanks so much for posting it. I had used the towel to wring it out, but it gets so nasty. And this way I will be able to use the spinach juice for bread or soup or cooking rice too. Great idea!

Susan in Omaha

Kitchen Utensils
Using Kitchen Utensils in Unusual Ways
Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsMarch 10, 2009
Fava Bean Puree with Spinach Topping
Recipes Using Spinach
Spinach Quiche
Spinach Quiche Recipes
Spinach
Canning Spinach
Freezing Spinach
Freezing Spinach
🎉
🎄