Using Kitchen Utensils in Unusual Ways

0
Share
Pin
Save
Follow
Print

If a recipe calls for frozen spinach with the water squeezed out, I have a great and easy way to do this. No more do you need to waste valuable paper towels and make a mess. I use my potato ricer. Just put the thawed spinach in the potato ricer and clamp down the top portion and squeeze. With one or two squeezes, the spinach is completely dry and ready for your recipe.

Source: I got this tip from a friend of mine a long time ago when we were both personal chefs.

By Kathy from Sylvania, OH

9 More Solutions

I am all for using utensils in unusual ways. After you brown ground beef, you can break it up into mostly uniform pieces using a pastry blender.

I constantly need to slice veggies like zucchini, eggplant and onions thinly for recipes and to dehydrate.

Bagel slicer

Today, I tried the spaghetti server to take the cabbage from the steamer. It works better than anything else I have tried because of the longer handle.

Using a spaghetti server for cooked cabbage

In my home we have an attic with pull down stairs, and it seems that the string is always just out of my reach. So instead of pulling out my step stool every time, I get spaghetti serving spoon out of the drawer and use that to grab the string.

I use these for the pasta I cook. Today I was planning a meal and I saw the hidden potential in it. When turned around, you can use it for a recipe holder. I didn't have anything but a whipped topping lid, but you get the picture.

A recipe propped on the tines of a spaghetti spoon.

I found the handiest little gizmo at the drugstore one day while waiting on a prescription. It's a French fry cutter. Not only do I use this to cut homemade French fries, but also when I'm freezing diced bell pepper, onion, etc.

I use a mushroom slicer to cut my boiled eggs with, when making potato salad, tuna salad, or just lettuce salads.

After hurting one hand, I decided to try using my bagel slicing tool to hold my somewhat frozen chicken breast firmly (and SAFELY) vertically, allowing me to cut it thinly for a meal. I think I will try it to slice ham for lunches in the future as well.

Using a bagel tool to thinly slice meat.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains uses for a pastry blender. There are other food tasks that this cutting tool can be helpful with.

Pastry Blender

Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsApril 19, 2013
🐛
👒
🌻
👔
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Kitchen-Utensils-in-Unusual-Ways.html