Uses for Potato Masher

Category Kitchen Tools
That potato masher in your kitchen tool drawer can be put to use in a variety of ways in addition to mashing up some spuds. This is a guide about uses for potato masher.

Almost every kitchen has one of those "old timey" potato mashers which Gramma used in the days before instant mashed or electric mixers. I still have mine and a few years ago, I broke the handle off yet another hamburger flipper. It was beginning to happen with alarming regularity.

I got out the potato masher and smushed my hamburgers down and used the edge to flip them over. There is no pressure on the handle since you are pushing straight down. They are just about the right size for a burger.

I use mine for this all the time, and haven't broken a spatula since I started using the potato masher for this purpose.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

I use a potato masher to mash hard cooked eggs, avocados for guacamole, butter that is still to hard to use for baking cookies.

By Linda

I had to make banana nut bread not too long ago, and did not have time to chop the walnuts. I grabbed the potato masher, and smashed the nuts in a hurry, and was very surprised to find out how good it worked. Not like they would have turned out had I used a food processor, or chopped by hand, but the results were surprisingly good, and not a whole lot of dishes to clean up afterward. This tip I will use again.

By Carole from Locust Fork, AL

I had nine boys to raise so frugal was very important in this home. One of the things we always use to hear is someone had a bigger piece of hamburger than another person, so one day I tried using my potato masher to mash the meat apart to see if it would help, YES, the potato masher is still being used in our home today even with the family gone and grown.

The old potato masher help with the minor problem with our boys and they now use the idea with their families now.

By Janice from Hutchinson, KS

I have always used my potato masher to smash berries and/or other ripe fruits for making jams, jellies or butters. It makes the job go faster and finishes with more uniform 'chunks' with little to no mess.

While visiting my sister last week, she wanted to try a new recipe I brought along. It called for cutting/blending butter and flour. Since she did not have a pastry blender, we were going to use the method using two knives. But, I thought there must be a better way, and voila! We used her POTATO MASHER instead with outstanding results! The ingredients were blended quickly with a minimum of mess! So much for using "fancy" kitchen gadgets!

By Nooglin from Bow, NH

Ideas for using a potato masher, other than mashing potatoes. Post your ideas.

Answers

Try using a potato masher to make egg salad, tuna salad, or mix the ingredients for meat loaf.

By Linda

Use it instead of a fork when pressing peanut butter cookies.

I use a potato masher to mash cooked pinto beans to make my own "refried" beans. Works great, and these refried beans are a whole lot cheaper!

My boyfriend uses his to make hummus.

use it to break up ground beef while it's cooking.

I use it to cut shortening in dry ingredients, especially when I am making homemade baking mix.

I have a semi round steel potato masher with small square holes in it.
I have mashed Apples and Bananas with it. Used it with Pumpkins and Rutabagas

I am tempted to say my type of pototo masher might be able to make crushed ice,but I have never tried it,
I guess that is it.
Happy Mashing Folks
Mr Thrifty

I use mine to mash my beans and ground beef when I make chili.

Anonymous

All of you guys are ingenious! I gotta remember all these ideas!!!- mary ellen

potato can be used on portion of the body where a bee or wasp bites you