Other Uses for Potato Peelers

Category Kitchen Tools
A vegetable peeler can be helpful for other things in the kitchen. This guide contains other uses for potato peeler.

Use a y-shaped peeler to remove slices of butter from the top of a rock-hard stick of butter that's come straight from the refrigerator. The peels can be laid on top of a slice of bread, so there's no need for spreading. That means no more clumps of butter and no more torn, soft bread.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

In a bind needing a phillips head screw driver but cant seem to find one? An old fashion potato peeler is an excellent substitute. It works as well as a screwdriver. The angle of the tip of the potato peeler makes it perfect.

Source: Grandmother

By Kay H. from Pitts, GA

Potato Peeler = Cheese Grater? Last night, I had a yen to use up some going-stale tortilla chips as the base for some tasty nachos. But I couldn't find my cheese grater, one of those simple flat plastic ones. However, in a pinch, my potato peeler did a fine job. It worked best on the squared corners of the cheese block, and I probably used less cheese, because the wider, thinner strips looked like more.

And yes, I have used my cheese grater as a makeshift potato peeler. Not the optimal way to peel a potato, since there's probably more waste, but if paring knives aren't available or you're too clumsy to not nick your fingers with the blade, like I always do, a cheese grater will do. Especially if you're making hash browns.

Source: Just clumsy, silly me in a messy kitchen where I can't find nothing, when I need it.

The other day I wanted to remove my name and numbers from an empty pill bottle before putting in the recycle bin. I was in a hurry and didn't have time to soak the label off, so I grabbed my vegetable peeler and gave it a couple of swipes, enough to remove all the personal information. Worked like a charm.

Easier than scraping it with a sharp knife, and less dangerous,with crippled /arthritic hands. Hope this helps others.

Source: Just me in a hurry.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

I love cheese sandwiches with whatever other ingredient I choose, but I hate grating the cheese. I always miss the dish I'm aiming for or the bread slice and make a mess with bits of cheese all over the work top, which stick like glue when I'm trying to wipe them off. So I came up with the idea of using a potato peeler. How easy is it ... very. The slices are thin, it's much quicker, no tiny bits flying off everywhere. Peeling cheese this way is also a doddle on home made pizza toppings.

A potato peeler is an excellent tool for removing the squeaker from a child's (or pet's) irritating toy!

When I have kiwi, I either use a potato peeler or scoop it with a spoon. Which ever is your preference.