Peeling and Cutting Sweet Potatoes and Yams

Category Vegetables
This is a guide about easy peeling and cutting of sweet potatoes and yams. Partially cooking your sweet potatoes or yams can help help make peeling them easier. A potato peeler is another easy way to remove the peels, prior to cutting them up.

Is there an easy way to peel and cut up raw sweet potatoes and yams?

By Joan from Sioux Falls, SD

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

As far as cutting them up after peeling just use a sharp knife.

As far as peeling I simply use a potato peeler. They're really inexpensive and usually no more than a couple of dollars at the market/grocery store. They're easier to use than with a paring knife and take off the peel only and not have to worry about loosing any of the 'meat'.

There are a couple different kinds but this is the one I've used and have had it since I moved away from home in 1972 ;-)

Best Answer

Yes! Boil them until almost done. You can turn off the heat early, and let them continue to set in the hot water to finish cooking. The skins slip right off.

I do this the day before I need them, then cut them in rounds and put the brown sugar, nuts, etc. on top and warm them in the oven. The skin slips off even if you leave them on until the potato is cold.

Best Answer

I peel sweet potatoes before cooking with a potato peeler. Then I dice them, stir them in the dish with some water; cover and microwave several minutes. Then stir them again making sure they are still moist. Adding a bit more water if necessary. Microwave a few minutes more. Stir and microwave till tender, then use them as desired.