Recipes Using Yams or Sweet Potatoes

Category Vegetables
Despite the confusion yams vs. sweet potatoes, most of these root vegetables found at the grocery are in fact sweet potatoes. These tasty vegetables can be used in many sweet and savory dishes. The yam is more easily found in ethnic markets and is often used in African and Asian dishes. This page contains recipes using yams or sweet potatoes.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

Oh, how I love my tacos, but they make me feel a bit guilty when I'm in charge of cooking and have the ability to grab more tortillas to keep making them! Enter the sweet potato: our shell substitute. It's got loads of fiber so it really keeps you full without taking away from the awesome taco filling. Give these a try, you won't feel guilty! I used lean ground chicken here. You can use any type of ground meat or meat substitute you like!

Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Yield: 2 large servings

• 1 large sweet potato
  • 1/2 lb ground meat of your choice
  • 1/2 cup onions, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • 1/2 cup water
  • grated cheese for garnish
  • julienned lettuce for garnish
  • Greek yogurt or sour cream for garnish
  • 1/4 cup salsa

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Wrap the sweet potato in foil and bake on bottom rack for one hour, until you can easily pierce the center with a fork. Work on the filling while this bakes.
  2. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add ground meat and cook until is no longer pink.
  3. Lower heat to medium, then add the onions and garlic to meat. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened.
  4. Add the cumin, coriander, onion powder, salt and pepper. Stirring constantly, cook for a minute.
  5. Add tomatoes and water. Lower heat to low. Scrape the bottom of the pan every once in a while, and cook for about 15 minutes.
  6. When the sweet potato is done, remove the foil. Carefully cut it in half lengthwise, then scoop out a bit of the flesh.
  7. Fill with the taco meat, then top with cheese, lettuce, salsa, and yogurt or sour cream.

Beat eggs, brown sugar, orange peel, salt and nutmeg. Add yams, milk, pecans and butter. Pour into a slightly oiled casserole dish and bake 50 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Yams have a sweeter flavor than Sweet Potatoes so it's your choice which to use.

Here's a nice sweet potato or yam variation for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix cranberry sauce and juices in a bowl. Mix corn syrup and melted butter in another bowl.

For a little twist on an old favorite we bake our yams like potatoes. Be sure to either wrap them in foil or put them on a baking pan because the juices will drip and caramelize on your oven (not a fun mess to clean.)

It's healthy and nutritious and tasty,can be served with rice, bread or naan.

These are great for a holiday get together or any time. I prefer to use the dark Karo syrup over the light, but either one can be used. Very sweet and good!

Yummy every day or holiday dish. Cook yams in water to cover in saucepan until almost tender. Peel and slice. Drain and slice chestnuts. Peel, core and slice apples.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place drained yams in ungreased 1 1/2 qt. baking dish. In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients; blend well. Sprinkle over yams.

Peel and cook yams until tender. In a saucepan, combine rest of ingredients. Bring just to a boil. Pour over yams in a baking dish. Bake 30 minutes at 325 degrees F.

Boil yams until tender. Peel and mash or beat with electric blender. Stir in melted butter, sugar, nutmeg, lemon peel and egg yolks. Cool slightly and fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth.

Peel sweet potatoes, boil and mash. Add hot milk, sugar, and 3 Tbsp. butter. Then add black walnuts and a pinch of salt. . .

Brown pork chops in butter over medium heat. Place pork chops in 13x9 baking pan. Combine yams, pineapple, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt; mix well.

A lot of people will toss sweet potatoes when they show signs of drying. They do not make good baked potatoes. They are good for whatever requires grated sweet potatoes. Baked potatoes are good for making pies, but for a baked sweet potato casserole, grated are best. Raw sweet potatoes are an excellent source of quick energy. Grated and used as you would carrots (in a salad, etc.) will give you a little energy boost.

I just discovered something you might like. I reached into a drawer to get a knife to peel a sweet potato. I spotted a cheese slicer and decided to give it a try.

The cheese slicer actually works better than a knife. I find you have more control and you can work faster. As you can see, the potato was getting a little dry. I'm assuming the slicer would peel a new sweet potato just as well.

Smoothies made with sweet potatoes are the quickest to provide extra energy. They are low calorie (if properly prepared) and very filling. They are somewhat like a powdery milkshake and can be a delicious diet food, depending on what other raw, low calorie fruit or vegetable you add to the blender along with milk, fruit juice, etc.

I like to experiment. I have even added raw oat meal to the mix. It's good. I eat raw oatmeal as a cold cereal, anyway. Much better than cooked. Also, I try to get a few greens in the mix. While cabbage won't do, a few leaves of fresh spinach works great. And I usually add a small bit of sucralose for sweetness.

Think blueberries, strawberries, almonds and other nuts, carrots and carrot greens, apples and pears. Sweet potatoes are just the base for the smoothie. And taste wise, I find milk works better than juices. But, you can always add both. A dollop of ice cream is good. I'm getting hungry.

Open a can of Bruce's Yams into a 1 1/2 qt. casserole dish. Add margarine, brown sugar and or maple syrup, then top with small marshmallows. Bake in 325 degree F oven for 30 minutes.

This page contains candied yam recipes. Candied yams are a wonderful sweet treat that many families enjoy during the holiday season.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesAugust 26, 2013
🎂
🌻
📓