Recipes Using Sweet Potatoes

Category Vegetables
Sweet Potato Fries
Sweet potatoes are nutritious tubers that are excellent in a variety of dishes. This page contains recipes using sweet potatoes.

I love sweet potatoes and instead of peeling them to bake or boil I just wash them, cut the ends off, stick with a knife and put them in the microwave for 10 minutes, check them and flip them over if needed.

They cook very fast and this is a very tasty and quick way to make them.

Sometimes I add butter, cinnamon, or marshmallows.

Total Time: 30 minutes or less

Yield: 3 cups

Just sweet potatoes, amount depends on how big your microwave is and how many you actually want to cook.

• 3 large sweet potatoes ($1.40 a pound)

A variation of the traditional baked sweet potato and tastes more like a dessert than a side dish.

Directions:

Bake sweet potato for 45 to 50 minutes in 400 degree F. preheated oven or microwave for 5 to 7 minutes (either way, until tender when pricked with a fork). Remove skin and mash in a bowl (I cut in half and scoop out with a large spoon). Stir in remaining ingredients and serve ;-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

I just love sweet potatoes. I'm happy to say that they are very nutritious. As with other vegetables, the deeper their color, the better they are for you. This recipe is easy, and one of my favorite ways to serve this delicious veggie. It goes especialy well with pork, and is a good foil for spicy barbecue.

If you make these a bit sweeter, and add nuts and whipped cream, they are just wonderful chilled for dessert. This saves the calories of putting them in a pie crust, and is still nutritious.

• 3 medium large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 15-oz. can of coconut milk (not the thicker, sweet, coconut creme)
  • 1 tsp. ground cardamom
  • 1 - 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. finely minced crystallized ginger, optional

Directions:

Mix everything but the ginger in a saucepan. Simmer, covered, about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender, stirring often. Stir in the ginger. Serve.

This is also very good cooked with more brown sugar and the addition of roughly chopped pecans. When tender, chill, and serve with unsweetened whipped cream and a sprinkling of coconut.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

It is good to mix carrots and sweet potatoes with sugar free whipped cream on top of them. It is really good and a way to disguise carrots.

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

This page contains sweet potato fries recipes. A healthier alternative to the traditional white potato fries, sweet potato fries are becoming popular.

White dish with Sweet Potato Fries against a white background

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains candied sweet potatoes recipes. This holiday meal staple is actually perfect any time. Their beautiful orange color is only surpassed by their great taste.

Square Baking Dish with sweet potatoes covered in marshmallows

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains sweet potato cake recipes. Make a sweet, spiced sweet potato cake; one more way to enjoy these tasty tubers.

Sweet Potato Cake Recipes

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine sweet potatoes, milk, egg substitute, brown sugar, margarine, spices, and vanilla in bowl; mix well. Spoon into greased 2 quart casserole.

For years, I dreaded "the sweet potatoes," and kept it to myself. Then, I watched Alton Brown on the Food Network, "Good Eats: Potatoes, My Sweet," and I am forever changed.

Place sweet potatoes in 12 inch skillet. Cover with boiling water. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender, drain well. Meanwhile, prepare sauce.

Simmer syrup and butter in large skillet for 2 minutes. Add sweet potatoes. Cook over low heat, uncovered, 10 minutes. Turn potatoes frequently to glaze.

Combine all ingredients together and pour into a greased 2 qt. casserole. Cover with topping and bake in 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes.

Whip sweet potatoes, 3/4 cup sour cream, milk, egg, sugar and cinnamon. Add salt.

Can you still use them if they are sprouting?

By Doug

I've done for years and so far no-one has died:) I also have safely used the ones that have started to go green. However, the 'trick' is to completely peel the potato. Otherwise you do run the risk of making yourself and anyone who shares the meal with you slightly to considerably sick (ask me how I know this part, sigh).

Peel the potato completely, making sure to go deep enough into the flesh of the spud to completely eliminate the sprouted eyes (or the green-yellow tinge).

Use these potatoes only for mashing, don't try to bake them, for example. Once they've sprouted (or started to go green) you need to peel the entire potato to make it usable.

And if you aren't sure about any food being safe, remember the cardinal, number one kitchen rule: If in doubt - throw it out! Better to 'waste food' than be sick from food poisoning.