Recipes Using Sweet Potatoes

Oh, how I love my tacos, but they make me feel a bit guilty when I'm in charge of cooking and have the ability to grab more tortillas to keep making them! Enter the sweet potato: our shell substitute. It's got loads of fiber so it really keeps you full without taking away from the awesome taco filling. Give these a try, you won't feel guilty! I used lean ground chicken here. You can use any type of ground meat or meat substitute you like!

Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Yield: 2 large servings

• 1 large sweet potato
  • 1/2 lb ground meat of your choice
  • 1/2 cup onions, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • 1/2 cup water
  • grated cheese for garnish
  • julienned lettuce for garnish
  • Greek yogurt or sour cream for garnish
  • 1/4 cup salsa

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Wrap the sweet potato in foil and bake on bottom rack for one hour, until you can easily pierce the center with a fork. Work on the filling while this bakes.
  2. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add ground meat and cook until is no longer pink.
  3. Lower heat to medium, then add the onions and garlic to meat. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened.
  4. Add the cumin, coriander, onion powder, salt and pepper. Stirring constantly, cook for a minute.
  5. Add tomatoes and water. Lower heat to low. Scrape the bottom of the pan every once in a while, and cook for about 15 minutes.
  6. When the sweet potato is done, remove the foil. Carefully cut it in half lengthwise, then scoop out a bit of the flesh.
  7. Fill with the taco meat, then top with cheese, lettuce, salsa, and yogurt or sour cream.

39 More Solutions

I love sweet potatoes and instead of peeling them to bake or boil I just wash them, cut the ends off, stick with a knife and put them in the microwave for 10 minutes, check them and flip them over if needed.

Three microwaved sweet potatoes.

A lot of people will toss sweet potatoes when they show signs of drying. They do not make good baked potatoes. They are good for whatever requires grated sweet potatoes. Baked potatoes are good for making pies, but for a baked sweet potato casserole, grated are best. Raw sweet potatoes are an excellent source of quick energy. Grated and used as you would carrots (in a salad, etc.) will give you a little energy boost.

peeling sweet potato with cheese slicer

A variation of the traditional baked sweet potato and tastes more like a dessert than a side dish.

I just love sweet potatoes. I'm happy to say that they are very nutritious. As with other vegetables, the deeper their color, the better they are for you. This recipe is easy, and one of my favorite ways to serve this delicious veggie.

Yams have a sweeter flavor than Sweet Potatoes so it's your choice which to use.

Here's a nice sweet potato or yam variation for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix cranberry sauce and juices in a bowl. Mix corn syrup and melted butter in another bowl.

It is good to mix carrots and sweet potatoes with sugar free whipped cream on top of them. It is really good and a way to disguise carrots.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine sweet potatoes, milk, egg substitute, brown sugar, margarine, spices, and vanilla in bowl; mix well. Spoon into greased 2 quart casserole.

For years, I dreaded "the sweet potatoes," and kept it to myself. Then, I watched Alton Brown on the Food Network, "Good Eats: Potatoes, My Sweet," and I am forever changed.

Place sweet potatoes in 12 inch skillet. Cover with boiling water. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender, drain well. Meanwhile, prepare sauce.

Simmer syrup and butter in large skillet for 2 minutes. Add sweet potatoes. Cook over low heat, uncovered, 10 minutes. Turn potatoes frequently to glaze.

Combine all ingredients together and pour into a greased 2 qt. casserole. Cover with topping and bake in 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes.

Peel sweet potatoes, boil and mash. Add hot milk, sugar, and 3 Tbsp. butter. Then add black walnuts and a pinch of salt. . .

Whip sweet potatoes, 3/4 cup sour cream, milk, egg, sugar and cinnamon. Add salt.

I am looking for a recipe. It was called a Sweet Potato Ponde and it was grated sweet potatoes and I don't know what else to put in it so if any one has that recipe please let me know.

Mary from Winterville, GA

Answers

Here's one recipe for Sweet Potato Pones and you can find others doing a google search. I like putting pecans in mine and there are other variations of this recipe. I'm sure you'll find one you like best.

cheftami.blogspot.com/.../sweet-potato-pone.html

The only thing I make with grated sweet potatoes is Potato Pudding. This is an old, old recipe, so when it comes to cooking in a slow oven, you will have to determine which low temp. to cook it. It needs to cook long enough for the eggs to cook. Hope this is what you wanted. Recipe follows:

Sweet Potato Pudding
4 large sweet potatoes, grated
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 stick margarine
3 eggs
2 Tablespoons vanilla flavoring

Enough Carnation milk until it looks like cornbread. Use more than 1 small can. Cook in a slow oven until done.

Answer this Question

Can you still use them if they are sprouting?

By Doug

Answers

I've done for years and so far no-one has died:) I also have safely used the ones that have started to go green. However, the 'trick' is to completely peel the potato. Otherwise you do run the risk of making yourself and anyone who shares the meal with you slightly to considerably sick (ask me how I know this part, sigh).

Peel the potato completely, making sure to go deep enough into the flesh of the spud to completely eliminate the sprouted eyes (or the green-yellow tinge).

Use these potatoes only for mashing, don't try to bake them, for example. Once they've sprouted (or started to go green) you need to peel the entire potato to make it usable.

And if you aren't sure about any food being safe, remember the cardinal, number one kitchen rule: If in doubt - throw it out! Better to 'waste food' than be sick from food poisoning.

Answer this Question
Load More
Food and Recipes Recipes VegetablesJune 6, 2012
🎄
😷
🎉
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Recipes-Using-Sweet-Potatoes.html