Sweet Potato Toast
Gold Post Medal for All Time! 555 Posts
March 16, 2020
These are healthier substitute for bread! They are thinly sliced sweet potatoes that you can use as a toast under eggs or as a base for any food. They are also great as a snack! You may use one or more sweet potatoes but I find I need to make many more just to have some by the time we are ready to sit down and eat! Delicious!
- sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- your favorite spice (I've used cinnamon, curry, salt & pepper, tumeric, any sweet or savory spices! You choose your favorite. I mix mine up for fun!)
- Wash your sweet potatoes and dry them.
- Carefully slice them thinly either with a knife or a mandolin, as shown. I got anywhere from 12-18 thin slices with mine for a medium sized potato.
- Place in a bowl and add some olive oil to lightly coat the slices.
- Sprinkle on your favorite spices. I make some sweet, some savory and some mixed.
- Lay out on a cookie sheet and bake in your oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes. I check regularly and usually flip the pieces after 15 minutes to help dry and crisp them up a bit. If they are thin they may cook much quicker (and even burn) faster than a thicker slice would, which is why I keep an eye on them. Thin ones will get 'snapping crisp' but thicker ones may be firmer but a little more like fruit leather... both are good!
- I also try to put thinner slices together so I will know to check that tray more regularly. I even pull out some that are getting too dark, when I flip them over.
- Once I think they feel dry and leathery I take them out and put them on a rack to cool down and they seem to continue to firm up. I either serve them with dinner or freeze some on a tray, then bag them up for meals throughout the week, especially breakfast! I like mine with avocado and eggs, pictured here. Thin ones would also be yummy just as a snack.
Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 190 Posts
March 22, 20200 found this helpful
These sound delicious. I love sweet potatoes and this recipe gives me a new way to try them. Thanks for sharing.
Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 157 Feedbacks
May 24, 20200 found this helpful
wow yes! my mouth is watering-im going to try this!thankyou!x
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.