Eating Sprouting Sweet Potatoes

Can you still use them if they are sprouting?

By Doug

I've done for years and so far no-one has died:) I also have safely used the ones that have started to go green. However, the 'trick' is to completely peel the potato. Otherwise you do run the risk of making yourself and anyone who shares the meal with you slightly to considerably sick (ask me how I know this part, sigh).

Peel the potato completely, making sure to go deep enough into the flesh of the spud to completely eliminate the sprouted eyes (or the green-yellow tinge).

Use these potatoes only for mashing, don't try to bake them, for example. Once they've sprouted (or started to go green) you need to peel the entire potato to make it usable.

And if you aren't sure about any food being safe, remember the cardinal, number one kitchen rule: If in doubt - throw it out! Better to 'waste food' than be sick from food poisoning.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food Safety VegatablesAugust 6, 2013
📓
🎂
🌻