Sweet Potato Spinach Home Fries
Sometimes the best meals are the result of innovation and substitution. This sweet potato and spinach home fries dish is no exception. Check out the recipe below.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Sometimes, not having all the right ingredients leads you to create a great new recipe. We wanted home fries for breakfast, but I didn't have enough potatoes for a whole batch. I used one potato, one sweet potato, some onion, and spinach. The sweet potato gave it a lovely sugary edge, while the spinach gave it a nice healthy green touch. I microwaved the potatoes first so they cooked evenly with the onions, and got a nice crisp exterior when finished.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings as a side dish
- 1 large russet potato
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- Peel potato and sweet potato. Cut potato in half. Poke sweet potato with fork a few times. Microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, cut the potato and sweet potato into cubes.
- Heat some oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add cubed potatoes and chopped onion. Cook until onions start going translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add all the spices and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well, cooking until edges start browning.
- Add the spinach and cook, stirring often, until wilted and potatoes are tender. Serve immediately.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.