Sweet Potato Spinach Home Fries
Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
March 26, 2020
Sometimes, not having all the right ingredients leads you to create a great new recipe. We wanted home fries for breakfast, but I didn't have enough potatoes for a whole batch. I used one potato, one sweet potato, some onion, and spinach. The sweet potato gave it a lovely sugary edge, while the spinach gave it a nice healthy green touch. I microwaved the potatoes first so they cooked evenly with the onions, and got a nice crisp exterior when finished.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings as a side dish
- 1 large russet potato
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- Peel potato and sweet potato. Cut potato in half. Poke sweet potato with fork a few times. Microwave on high for 4 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, cut the potato and sweet potato into cubes.
- Heat some oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add cubed potatoes and chopped onion. Cook until onions start going translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add all the spices and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well, cooking until edges start browning.
- Add the spinach and cook, stirring often, until wilted and potatoes are tender. Serve immediately.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.