Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

Oh, how I love my tacos, but they make me feel a bit guilty when I'm in charge of cooking and have the ability to grab more tortillas to keep making them! Enter the sweet potato: our shell substitute. It's got loads of fiber so it really keeps you full without taking away from the awesome taco filling. Give these a try, you won't feel guilty! I used lean ground chicken here. You can use any type of ground meat or meat substitute you like!

Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Yield: 2 large servings

1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Wrap the sweet potato in foil and bake on bottom rack for one hour, until you can easily pierce the center with a fork. Work on the filling while this bakes.
  2. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add ground meat and cook until is no longer pink.
  3. Advertisement

4. Lower heat to medium, then add the onions and garlic to meat. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened.
  5. Add the cumin, coriander, onion powder, salt and pepper. Stirring constantly, cook for a minute.
  6. Add tomatoes and water. Lower heat to low. Scrape the bottom of the pan every once in a while, and cook for about 15 minutes.
  7. When the sweet potato is done, remove the foil. Carefully cut it in half lengthwise, then scoop out a bit of the flesh.
  8. Advertisement

9. Fill with the taco meat, then top with cheese, lettuce, salsa, and yogurt or sour cream.

Brilliant! I've had sweet potato cubed in taco's but this is even better for a carb watcher like me!
Thanks!

You're so welcome! This really hit the spot :)

Food and Recipes Recipes Main DishesAugust 7, 2018
😎
📓
🌻
🐛
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Taco-Stuffed-Sweet-Potatoes.html