Uses for Cooling Racks
It is always fun to discover additional uses for kitchen tools, especially ones that are not used that often for their intended use. This is a guide about uses for cooking racks.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
A cooling rack used for cookies and baked goods has many uses in the kitchen.
- I use it after washing fruits and vegetables that need to be dried before storing.
- I place hot casserole dishes on the rack that need to be cooled a bit before storing in the refrigerator.
- I have used a rack across an opened drawer in the kitchen when I needed extra counter space. You can use a cookie sheet for this too, if it is not being used.
By it's.only.me from NE PA
September 3, 20126 found this helpful
Take a baker's rack and set your laptop on it. This lets air flow thru underneath it and thereby keeps your computer cool. This way you do not have to keep buying fans to sit under it to cool it. It works great either sitting it on your lap or on a desk.
By Kathy Bourg from Jefferson, LA
Why go out and pay a big price for a laptop cooler? Try this tip and have one for next to nothing.
I use a cake cooling rack as my laptop cooler. It works great! I bought this rack at a dollar store for $1, so I have saved a lot of money using it.
By Hvnlyhills from Peebles, OH
January 4, 20131 found this helpful
Ripen tomatoes and other vegetables in your window.
Total Time: several days
Yield: as many as you want ripe tomatoes
Baking Rack to Ripen Tomatoes
- 1 each cooling rack ($1.99)
- 1 each tomato from garden
- Put a cooling rack near a window and make sure it is elevated off the table or stand high enough to catch the sunlight. If not high enough, place 2 equal size coffee cups under the rack to lift it higher.
- Place the tomato or other veggies on the rack a few inches apart. The rack protects the window and table from any residue from the veggie.
- Each day, turn the tomato or other vegetable to a side that has to ripen. In several days the whole vegetable will ripen and then remove it from the rack.
- You can then eat it or store for later use.
The other day I was baking brownies and I realized that I couldn't find my wire racks for cooling. With only a few minutes until the brownies were done, I scrambled around looking.Read More...