Speeding Up a Knitting Project

I have just bought baby yarn and needles and I am going to make a pair of socks with a high gauge. Any way to make the project go faster?

Amanda from Wakefield, RI

There is really no way of making the project go any faster. They shouldn't take you too long because you're knitting a baby item which is much smaller than an adult size.

An experienced knitter can complete a project faster than a beginner.

Bigger needles and thicker yarn make a project go faster, of course, but the best old-fashioned advice I've read is to do a 4-inch-square swatch first to determine your gauge. It may seem a waste of time, but it's really a must if you want your project to fit properly. And personally I'd do most anything not to have to rip out rows I've already knitted.

Once you have enough swatches, you can make a patchwork afghan out of them, a keepsake in itself.

Also, I try to keep my knitting nearby so I can use odd moments to knit a few rows, e.g. waiting for the computer to boot up, in the doctor's office, watching tv, etc. Those few rows at a time add up quickly.

Good luck on your socks project.

Crafts KnittingJanuary 23, 2008
pink knitted hat
Knitting a Hat
Round Knitting Looms
Round Knitting Loom Tips
Adjustable Sock Loom
Using a Knitting Board Adjustable Sock Loom
machine knitting a hat
Buying and Using a Knitting Machine
🎉
🎄