How Do I Thicken My Hair?

I have very thin and balding hair, that is also oily and straight. I used to perm my hair every 4 months, but have stopped. It has been about three years since the last perm. My question is what is the best way to thicken my hair and condition it? I have heard of ways to use mayo and vinegar, but have been unable to find the right combination for my hair type. What would you recommend?

By Mrs_T from Washington, DC

There isn't much you can do with straight hair other than to get another perm. If you decide not to go the perm route, have a cosmetologist cut your hair short into layers. Use professional hair styling mousse which you can buy at Sally's Beauty Supply. After washing your hair, blot with a towel and dispense a small amount of foam into your hands. Apply mousse to your hair working into the ends of the hair, bend over at the waist (head pointed towards floor) and dry hair with a blow dryer on medium heat. In this way it adds volume to your hair. Then finish styling with a curling iron or curling brush.

MCW

Licensed Cosmetologist

I am not an expert, but there are so many new products on the market for thickening hair. I would recommend you go shopping perhaps at a beauty supply store where you could try to get some good free advice on this. P.S. If you have straight hair, why fight it? There are many styles which don't require permanents these days. Look at Meg Ryan's famous shag!

Biotin is a supplement that helps hair grow and strengthens fingernails. You should have no problem taking it as a daily supplement but always check with your doctor first to see if there can be adverse affects with medications you take.

I have baby fine hair and I swear by Mane and Tail shampoo. I believe Walmart carries it.

A year ago I had waist length thick wavy hair. Being married to someone who is emotionally abusive, narcissistic and passive-aggressive caused me all sorts of medical problems that put me in the hospital in very serious condition. Very nearly died. Consequently, I lost almost all my hair. I used to think my hair was one of my best features. It was hard to deal with. I started a daily regimen of taking Biotin, Zinc and Lutein along with a product called Reliv. It takes a long time but my hair is thickening up nicely and not falling out anymore. I also got a short, layered, wispy hairstyle and add a little mousse now and then and blow dry it from the bottom. Only takes a few minutes and it looks pretty nice. I miss my long hair and wearing a french braid but oh well.

www.hsn.com Michael Dicesare under beauty products; all of his products are outstanding and he offers products for thickening hair; read the reviews; I have never needed thickening hair; mine is the opposite; i need to layer due to thickness! Sign up for emails for when he is on; he is so good and his lines he carries so excellent, they often sell out so very few show up on line anymore!He offers only highest and pure things to put his name on; the "curlers" he offers were literally designed for him in Germany and are nothing like cheap imitations which pull on your hair!

The Liquifix is amazing stuff; very concentrated; a little goes a long ways; it literally "sets" your hair; if you have straight hair; mine is when longer and not layered and shorter; use the liquifix with hot rollers; they will stay in longer; you can use these curlers with dry hair; it's what they were designed for.

With HSN products you can try them for 30 days and then return them if they do not work out for you!

It took me a very long time to order from HSN; I watched for a long time and then knew I would return if not happy; I was incredibly amazed with the products from him that I have used!

He does offer some kind of product that usually always sells out rapidly that is specifically for massaging into the scalp; and that it helps hair growth. Don't recall the name of it; but many people call in and really like it; and I know it sells out very rapidly.

I am currently using Jr Liggett's shampoo bars; they contain no chemicals at all to harm you; and while it may "feel" strange at first as it does not strip the hair of natural oils, when it dries, it dries fuller and fluffier. Check out their site; then go to a health food store to see if available there; and if not, ask if they will order some in; (save on S&H); mine did! They were amazed; they had never heard of it; though they have been used for centuries!

Good luck! Oh, my neighbor tried the "rubbery" rod type curlers in her straight hair; with liquifix; and got amazing results; and on this site there is a suggestion to use the "bread ties" as curlers;

I thought that was an amazing suggestion!

There are new shampoos out with protein in them which thicken the hair.

I have run my own salon for over 20 years. I agree with MCW above, as there really is not a product (other than root lifting spray or mousse) which can lift the hair and give more volume. I am 46 and have always had long hair, but recently due to it thinning I cut it into short layers. Hair weighs itself down, so if thin will add volume if it is shorter. Blow drying upside down will also increase the volume.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips Thin HairOctober 26, 2010
A woman with long hair.
Growing Hair Faster
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄