Newborn Puppy not Pooping

Category Health
The best pet's health advise comes from your professional veterinarian. This is a guide about newborn puppy not pooping.

I have 4 one week old Chihuahua puppies and the runt of the litter is bottle fed. Now I can't get it to go poop. Does anyone out there know what I can do to help it go poop?

Kim from Jasper, TX

Take an old clean washcloth...wet it with warm water. Gently wipe the puppies rear end with the warm washcloth. You may need to rewarm the cloth. Make sure it is warm and not to hot. If you continue to do this at regular intervals, you will stimulate the puppy to go potty.

This has worked for me with newborn puppies and even baby birds!

If you have tried the warm cloth and it has not worked I would go to the Drug store and buy Baby glycerin suppositories. You just place in rectum and they melt and helps to relive he blockage

Try about 1/8th teaspoon of dark Karo syrup in its milk once a day. Hope this helps ~Janette~

Try using a warm soft washcloth and massaging his backside. Sounds dumb but it takes the place of the mama cats tongue. After she feeds her litter she may do this to get them to go. Good luck, it worked for us.

Do not feed it any kind of laxatives! I am a foster parent for a no-kill shelter and deal with very young puppies and kittens a lot. You have to act like their mother would. Take 2 fingers and pretend they are a mother's tongue....gently, but firmly, stroke the puppy's tummy and body from front to back. The mother does this to "massage" the waste out of the baby. If you have to, take the baby to your local animal shelter and they will show you how to do it.

Oh MY GOD - do not give that puppy any laxitives - baby formula or not!

Like stated below - a warm washcloth and manual gently massage should do it.

You never stated why you are bottle feeding this puppy has the mother rejected him or are the siblings simply pushing him out of the way? In the very best interest of this tiny pup the first person you should contact is the dog's best friend your veterinarian. Good luck but please place that call.

Place their bums in a bowl of warm water and massage it with baby oil... hope this helps

I am feeding 2 newborn chihuahua puppies and they were pooping good at first now I can't really get them to go. Any suggestions?

My 4 day Boston terrier has just gone 32 hours without a poo, he wasn't crying, he seemed fine was eating and scuttling round, but never have I been so pleased to see dog poop 

My 6 day old Pug puppies have been bottle fed from the beginning because the bitch rejected them and she doesn't have any milk. I gave them antibiotics because at first their poop was watery and now they're not pooping! What should I do? I hope I can get an answer to this asap. Thanks!

By jaycille

Are you still wiping their bottoms with a warm damp cloth after you feed them to stimulate them to use the bathroom? They probably aren't old enough to do it all the time on their own yet. Otherwise, ask the vet just to be safe.

Get them to a vet asap.

My 3 week old chihuahua finding so hard to stimulate. Now no poops for 2 days.