Newborn Puppy not Pooping

Category Health
Newborn Puppy
The best pet's health advise comes from your professional veterinarian. This is a guide about newborn puppy not pooping.

I have 4 one week old Chihuahua puppies and the runt of the litter is bottle fed. Now I can't get it to go poop. Does anyone out there know what I can do to help it go poop?

Kim from Jasper, TX

I don't know about puppies but we give our adult dog pumpkin on her dry dog food, he loves it .

I was told that if you use a wet pretty warm wash cloth and rub the area between his rear and his privates it is supposed to make them go try it, it can't hurt! Good luck

You need to stimulate them, get a warm wet wash cloth, and gently rub her privates with it, and see if you can get her to go that way. Usually the mother licks them down there and thats what causes them to go, if the mom isn't around or doesn't have interest in the pups its up the her human parents to stimulate them.

Take an old clean washcloth...wet it with warm water. Gently wipe the puppies rear end with the warm washcloth. You may need to rewarm the cloth. Make sure it is warm and not to hot. If you continue to do this at regular intervals, you will stimulate the puppy to go potty.

This has worked for me with newborn puppies and even baby birds!

If you have tried the warm cloth and it has not worked I would go to the Drug store and buy Baby glycerin suppositories. You just place in rectum and they melt and helps to relive he blockage

Try about 1/8th teaspoon of dark Karo syrup in its milk once a day. Hope this helps ~Janette~

Try using a warm soft washcloth and massaging his backside. Sounds dumb but it takes the place of the mama cats tongue. After she feeds her litter she may do this to get them to go. Good luck, it worked for us.

Do not feed it any kind of laxatives! I am a foster parent for a no-kill shelter and deal with very young puppies and kittens a lot. You have to act like their mother would. Take 2 fingers and pretend they are a mother's tongue....gently, but firmly, stroke the puppy's tummy and body from front to back. The mother does this to "massage" the waste out of the baby. If you have to, take the baby to your local animal shelter and they will show you how to do it.

My 6 day old Pug puppies have been bottle fed from the beginning because the bitch rejected them and she doesn't have any milk. I gave them antibiotics because at first their poop was watery and now they're not pooping! What should I do? I hope I can get an answer to this asap. Thanks!

By jaycille