Newborn Puppy not Pooping

The best pet's health advise comes from your professional veterinarian. This is a guide about newborn puppy not pooping.

April 17, 2014 Flag

My 6 day old Pug puppies have been bottle fed from the beginning because the bitch rejected them and she doesn't have any milk. I gave them antibiotics because at first their poop was watery and now they're not pooping! What should I do? I hope I can get an answer to this asap. Thanks!

By jaycille

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you still wiping their bottoms with a warm damp cloth after you feed them to stimulate them to use the bathroom? They probably aren't old enough to do it all the time on their own yet. Otherwise, ask the vet just to be safe.

Get them to a vet asap.

My 3 week old chihuahua finding so hard to stimulate. Now no poops for 2 days.

June 30, 2008 Flag

I have 4 one week old Chihuahua puppies and the runt of the litter is bottle fed. Now I can't get it to go poop. Does anyone out there know what I can do to help it go poop?

Kim from Jasper, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know about puppies but we give our adult dog pumpkin on her dry dog food, he loves it .

I was told that if you use a wet pretty warm wash cloth and rub the area between his rear and his privates it is supposed to make them go try it, it can't hurt! Good luck

You need to stimulate them, get a warm wet wash cloth, and gently rub her privates with it, and see if you can get her to go that way. Usually the mother licks them down there and thats what causes them to go, if the mom isn't around or doesn't have interest in the pups its up the her human parents to stimulate them.

Take an old clean washcloth...wet it with warm water. Gently wipe the puppies rear end with the warm washcloth. You may need to rewarm the cloth. Make sure it is warm and not to hot. If you continue to do this at regular intervals, you will stimulate the puppy to go potty.

This has worked for me with newborn puppies and even baby birds!

If you have tried the warm cloth and it has not worked I would go to the Drug store and buy Baby glycerin suppositories. You just place in rectum and they melt and helps to relive he blockage

Try about 1/8th teaspoon of dark Karo syrup in its milk once a day. Hope this helps ~Janette~

Try using a warm soft washcloth and massaging his backside. Sounds dumb but it takes the place of the mama cats tongue. After she feeds her litter she may do this to get them to go. Good luck, it worked for us.

Do not feed it any kind of laxatives! I am a foster parent for a no-kill shelter and deal with very young puppies and kittens a lot. You have to act like their mother would. Take 2 fingers and pretend they are a mother's tongue....gently, but firmly, stroke the puppy's tummy and body from front to back. The mother does this to "massage" the waste out of the baby. If you have to, take the baby to your local animal shelter and they will show you how to do it.

Oh MY GOD - do not give that puppy any laxitives - baby formula or not!

Like stated below - a warm washcloth and manual gently massage should do it.

You never stated why you are bottle feeding this puppy has the mother rejected him or are the siblings simply pushing him out of the way? In the very best interest of this tiny pup the first person you should contact is the dog's best friend your veterinarian. Good luck but please place that call.

Pets Dogs HealthFebruary 10, 2014
Puppy
Puppy is Not Eating
Cute Puppy
Puppy Pooping Inside
A no dog pooping sign in someone's lawn.
Keeping Dogs From Pooping on Grass
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
🎉
🎄