Cigarette Smoke Odors in a Refrigerator

I acquired a relatively new refrigerator from a house where someone smoked. The refrigerator has the smell of stale smoke inside. How do I get rid of this odor?

Gretchen from Cincinnati, OH

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I find that using baking soda is a great deodorizer, especially for refrigerators. You can either mix it with water into a paste to clean the whole fridge or pop open a box and let it sit in there for a while. I've never tried it with cigarette smoke, but it works well with onions.

I think that you could take a few charcoal briquets set on a paper plate or a piece of foil, shut the refrigerator door for a day or so, and the briquets should absorb the smell and you can throw them away.

If it were my refrigerator, I would place a bowl of vinegar in it overnight and the odor should be gone.

I would use a small bottle of vinegar poured into a bowl leaving it inside the fridge 24 hours or longer. Keep a small bowl of vinegar in the back of your fridge all the time to keep it smelling clean. DO NOT forget to change the vinegar out every week or two though.

I too have the same dilemma as you do. I recently received a fridge from a relative that smoked heavily and their fridge reeks of smoke. I cleaned it outside with Fantastic and Clorox Cleanup (at separate times, of course) and let it sit outside for the day. We brought it in in the evening and set it up only to discover the next day that the smell was still inside it. I then put baking soda in it and checked it the next day and it did not help at all. I am now going to try cleaning the inside with vinegar since that is what my mom swears by for getting the smoke smell out of things. Good Luck!

Have tried all of the above and now have a combo odor of vinegar and smoke. My grandson thought it was awful! I'm thinking the smoke odor must be coming from within the frig; I'm about ready to just give it away. Lesson learned; never purchase any appliance from a smoking family!

Answer

cigarette smoke odors
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsFebruary 4, 2009
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cigarettes
Cigarette Smoke Odors From Neighbors
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 11:12:49 PM on 10.0.1.167 in 440 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.