Removing Stains From Antique Lace

Delicate old lace can be yellowed and have stains. This guide is about removing stains from antique lace.

February 7, 2013 Flag

How can I safely remove brown spots from antique lace and linens?

By Elizabeth B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Saturate the area with lime juice and leave it in the sun for a couple of hours.

Saturate the wet cloth with a soap like Fells Naphta, do not rinse. Place in the sun for a couple of hours or more.

There are products available online for soaking antique linens. I have used them and they work. You can also soak in OxyClean. Check online for washing antique quilts and you will get great information. The trick seems to be lots of rinsing. I rinsed the old quilt I was doing 8 times in the bathrub. I was able to fill and then drain the tub and didnt need to agitate the quilt much. It turned out really well and the dirt had been in the quilt for at least 60 years.

http://www.howt  an-antique-lace/

Has suggestions for many things. Also, google Hints from Heloise and then specifically what your issue is. She has many wonderful ideas. The February 2013 GoodHousekeeping issue has a lot in her column this month on this.

March 2, 2016 Flag

I have several antique, cotton doilies my great-grandmother made. They were originally white. Some have a few tan stains on them, but the one I feel nervous about is obviously a food stain. It's purple/red, could be beets, blackberries, or even dark grape juice. The rest of the piece is white. How do I remove this difficult stain?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 21, 2006 Flag

I need to know the best way to remove stains from lovely lace. The stain looks like it has set but I do not know what it is. My item was found at an estate auction and I want to get it looking good again without harming it. Thanks so much for any help.

NellieMary from West Virginia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have had luck with covering the spot with lemon juice then sprinkle a lot of salt snd lay the item out in the sun i left my item out all day ,I took rust stains out of a white blouse for my Daughter in law !!

Good luck!

If it's not too old a piece, take a chance. Use Amy Dacyzn's formula: 1 cup Calgon and 1 cup dry all-fabric bleach in five gallons of the hottest tap water you have. Soak overnight. I have had amazing success with this. However, I have never used it on an antique.

Well, can you darken the rest of the lace to match if all else fails?

Home and Garden Cleaning FabricFebruary 14, 2013
Lace Tablecloth
Removing Grease Stains on a Lace Tablecloth
lace close up
Lace Shaping
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
A table filled with antique nicknacks.
Starting an Antique Business
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 12:50:13 PM on 10.0.0.148 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.