Removing Stains From Antique Lace

Delicate old lace can be yellowed and have stains. This guide is about removing stains from antique lace.

Vintage Lace
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have a very old white crocheted table cloth that belonged to my great grandmother, but there is a lot of yellowed stains on it. I didn't want to just try anything to attempt to remove the stains. If anyone has had this same issue, please advise. Thanks

Sonya from Bend, OR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would let it soak in Oxiclean. It seems to remove a lot of stains and really brightens dull, dingy items.

Best Answer

Another two items to try (but not together) are white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.

Best Answer

Dissolve a tablespoon of dish washing powder in a bucket of warm water. Let the tablecloth soak in this maybe over night. I use this when I was given my grandmothers doilies. I also crochet doilies and know this works.

Best Answer

Try the Biz bucket, it is what Martha Pullen uses to clean antique heirloom things. Change water every day and support the tablecloth when you remove from the solution. In fact you might line a large bucket with a towel - clip the towel to rim or tape it and soak the tablecloth for 24 hours and then check. I have used this to get formula stains out of antique baby stuff.

Read More Answers...

I have several antique, cotton doilies my great-grandmother made. They were originally white. Some have a few tan stains on them, but the one I feel nervous about is obviously a food stain. It's purple/red, could be beets, blackberries, or even dark grape juice. The rest of the piece is white. How do I remove this difficult stain?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I safely remove brown spots from antique lace and linens?

By Elizabeth B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-antique-lace/

Has suggestions for many things. Also, google Hints from Heloise and then specifically what your issue is. She has many wonderful ideas. The February 2013 GoodHousekeeping issue has a lot in her column this month on this.

Read More Answers...

I need to know the best way to remove stains from lovely lace. The stain looks like it has set but I do not know what it is. My item was found at an estate auction and I want to get it looking good again without harming it. Thanks so much for any help.

NellieMary from West Virginia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well, can you darken the rest of the lace to match if all else fails?

Read More Answers...
    Home and Garden Cleaning FabricFebruary 14, 2013
    Lace Tablecloth
    Removing Grease Stains on a Lace Tablecloth
    lace close up
    Lace Shaping
    Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
    Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
    Cleaning Lace Curtains
    Cleaning Lace Curtains
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 19, 2016 at 8:05:25 AM on 10.0.0.209 in 455 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.