Browsing: Removing Stains From Antique Lace

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Stains From Antique Lace

Delicate old lace can be yellowed and have stains. This guide is about removing stains from antique lace.

Vintage Lace
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 31, 2007 Flag

I have a very old white crocheted table cloth that belonged to my great grandmother, but there is a lot of yellowed stains on it. I didn't want to just try anything to attempt to remove the stains. If anyone has had this same issue, please advise. Thanks

Sonya from Bend, OR

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would let it soak in Oxiclean. It seems to remove a lot of stains and really brightens dull, dingy items.

Best Answer

Another two items to try (but not together) are white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.

Best Answer

Dissolve a tablespoon of dish washing powder in a bucket of warm water. Let the tablecloth soak in this maybe over night. I use this when I was given my grandmothers doilies. I also crochet doilies and know this works.

Best Answer

Try the Biz bucket, it is what Martha Pullen uses to clean antique heirloom things. Change water every day and support the tablecloth when you remove from the solution. In fact you might line a large bucket with a towel - clip the towel to rim or tape it and soak the tablecloth for 24 hours and then check. I have used this to get formula stains out of antique baby stuff.

Read More Answers...

February 7, 2013 Flag

How can I safely remove brown spots from antique lace and linens?

By Elizabeth B

Saturate the area with lime juice and leave it in the sun for a couple of hours.

Saturate the wet cloth with a soap like Fells Naphta, do not rinse. Place in the sun for a couple of hours or more.

There are products available online for soaking antique linens. I have used them and they work. You can also soak in OxyClean. Check online for washing antique quilts and you will get great information. The trick seems to be lots of rinsing. I rinsed the old quilt I was doing 8 times in the bathrub. I was able to fill and then drain the tub and didnt need to agitate the quilt much. It turned out really well and the dirt had been in the quilt for at least 60 years.

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-antique-lace/

Has suggestions for many things. Also, google Hints from Heloise and then specifically what your issue is. She has many wonderful ideas. The February 2013 GoodHousekeeping issue has a lot in her column this month on this.

July 21, 2006 Flag

I need to know the best way to remove stains from lovely lace. The stain looks like it has set but I do not know what it is. My item was found at an estate auction and I want to get it looking good again without harming it. Thanks so much for any help.

NellieMary from West Virginia

I have had luck with covering the spot with lemon juice then sprinkle a lot of salt snd lay the item out in the sun i left my item out all day ,I took rust stains out of a white blouse for my Daughter in law !!

Good luck!

If it's not too old a piece, take a chance. Use Amy Dacyzn's formula: 1 cup Calgon and 1 cup dry all-fabric bleach in five gallons of the hottest tap water you have. Soak overnight. I have had amazing success with this. However, I have never used it on an antique.

Well, can you darken the rest of the lace to match if all else fails?

Home and Garden Cleaning FabricFebruary 14, 2013
Lace Tablecloth
Removing Grease Stains on a Lace Tablecloth
lace close up
Lace Shaping
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Cleaning Lace Curtains
Cleaning Lace Curtains
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 12, 2016 at 3:08:58 AM on 10.0.2.16 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.