Getting Rid of Gnats in Bathroom - Categories:

GnatsPest Control

Getting Rid of Gnats in Bathroom

I have gnats in one bathroom and they wont go away! I've tried pouring some products down the drain but nothing seems to work. Help!

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

You can kill small gnats by spraying with hairspray. Either use cheap stuff right out of the canister - or dilute pump sprays with 1/2 rubbing alcohol.

Try getting you a Mulberry candle and burning it. Worked for us last year and it also helps with those ladybugs/japanese beetle too.

Good luck

Try getting a Mullberry candle and burning it. It help me last summer when everything else I tried didn't work. Also helps with lady bugs or the Japanese beetlebugs too.

Do you have a plant in the room? The flies may be coming from the soil. You may have to repot and treat soil with an insecticide, or is your kitchen close by? They may be baby fruit flies, not sure how you get rid of them. Sorry

I have this problem every year. You actually have to keep the drains closed to prevent them from coming in. They're coming in from the drain itself, via the septic tank or sewer. If you've lost the stopper, just put a plastic lid or something over the drain after you use it each time. You may actually have to do this with all of your drains. I also sprinkle some 20 mule team borax in the sink at night. In a few days, they should be gone.

I have tried this and it worked for me. Put a small shot glass on the counter with either kool-aid or a fruity alcoholic beverage in it. Beer and zima also work. The gnats fly in but don't fly out. If you don't see progress in an hour don't get discouraged because it really does work. Within 2 days I had about 100 gnats in my glass.

May 24, 2012 Flag

I have gnats flying around my bathroom, particularly my light fixture and climbing up the walls. I swat and wipe them up then more come back. They are also on my sink and in my bathtub. They seem to be multiplying. What can I do to get rid of them for good?

By Alice from Atlanta, GA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've heard that spraying Listerine will help. It can't hurt, to spray the fixtures, and around the sink, there are many different "flavors" now.

For good, not much. They are territorial and come to where they can find the scents they love.

You can however, kill them. Fill a plastic cup half full of apple cider vinegar and a couple drops of dish washing liquid. That breaks up the surface adhesion and they dive in and drown. If you can, put it up high light the top of a cabinet or somewhere you don't have to see them or knock it over.

You might be dealing with sewer gnats/drain flies. They can set up housekeeping in floor and sink drains.

First I'd try slowly pouring a half gallon of boiling water down every drain in the room. Don't pour it too fast - you want some water to remain in the trap (elbow joint).

Repeat the boiling water treatment for a few days in a row. If these are drain flies (which it sounds like they are, since most gnats wouldn't hang out in the bathroom), this should solve the problem. There are also drain products you can buy that are made specifically to get rid of sewer gnats.

The best thing I find that is working for me is fill a small bowl, like a pyrex glass bowl with water and dish soap and stir it to distribute the soap. I have tried the vinegar and soap and that didn't work at all. I also pour bleach down the drains. I did buy and hang up fly paper and that really worked. I had a horrible amount of them and I think now they are finally starting to go away. It takes a while. They breed in the drains, so the bleach really helps. Pouring hot water down the drains works somewhat if you do it monthly.

Home and Garden Pest Control GnatsApril 30, 2008
Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 8:38:54 AM on 10.0.0.160 in 721 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.