Use Loose Screws to Clean Hummingbird Feeder

To clean your hummingbird feeder, place some loose screws in the container with some hot soapy water and swirl them around. The screws will break away the grime buildup. Rinse well. Swirl it gently. Don't shake it because the screws might break the glass.

Source: I read this tip in "Country" magazine years ago and use it for cleaning my feeder.

By Betty from NC

Great idea! I use dry long grained rice the same way, but the screws probably are better since they are heavier than the rice and will pour out easier. Make sure the screws are washed and rinsed before using. I clean the port holes with a pipe cleaner. I would use white vinegar to clean the parts and then rinse well. Thanks for the advice.

I use round toothpicks to clean the holes in mine. I don't like to use screws because eventually they will enlarge the holes too much. I wash mine in hot soapy water and rinse well. I've done this for many years and I have dozens (literally) of happy hummingbirds!

Hummingbird Feeder
Cleaning a Hummingbird Feeder
Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesMay 26, 2009
A glass hummingbird feeder.
Making a Hummingbird Feeder
Protecting a Hummingbird Feeder from Rain
Wood with a screw in it.
Fixing a Loose Screw in Wood
Butterfly Feeder
Making a Butterfly Feeder