Checking If Eggs Are Still Fresh

We all know that eggs can be kept for quite awhile. What happens if you think you have had them too long? There's a way of testing them and it works. Very gently place the egg in a cup of water. If it sinks, it is good. If it floats to the top, it is bad! I even check my fresh eggs. You never know!

By annie68 from South Bend, IN

February 14, 2011 Flag

My parents always led me to believe that eggs kept properly refrigerated would last a long, long time. If you want to make sure your eggs are fresh, however, this tip is a good rule of thumb regarding fresh eggs.

If you aren't sure how fresh your eggs are, place them in about four inches of water. Eggs that stay on the bottom are fresh. If only one end tips up, the egg is less fresh and should be used soon. If it floats, it's past the fresh stage.

Source: lifehackery.com

By showrootslove from Tupelo, MS

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 29, 2010 Flag

If you want to know if your eggs are fresh, place them in a glass of cold water, one at a time. If they float, do not use them. A fresh egg should sink to the bottom of the glass.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

Checking If Eggs Are Still Fresh

A better way to check for freshness is to put one up to your ear and shake it, if it slops around, it's not fresh, no movement, it's fresh. I use this hint in Super Markets. (09/07/2006)

By Vincent

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes