Keeping Eggs Fresh

Category Eggs
There is some confusing information available regarding the best way to keep eggs fresh. This is a guide about keeping eggs fresh.

When I put new eggs in the fridge door, I take a felt pen and put "smiley faces" on the oldest eggs, so they get used first. Also, it's kinda nice to see a smile when I open the door!

By Maile from Onalaska

My mom told me she keeps eggs longer by turning her carton upside down once a week. This keeps the yolk in the center of the egg instead of it falling to one end as it ages. So week one the top of the carton faces upward and then week two it faces downward. She said she has kept eggs for a couple months this way.

By Katz

Have you ever bought eggs from the cooler in the store and by the time you get home they are sweating, then you put them in the fridge and they stick to the styrofoam carton? Well, when you get home take them out of the styrofoam and put them in a cardboard egg carton that you have saved. The cardboard egg carton won't have the sticking problem.

By Katz

How long will eggs last when refrigerated?

By JS from Des Moines, IA

Answers

Eggs can last a good while, even up to about 6 weeks if they are terribly fresh to start with. I wouldn't put that to the test though, 2 to 4 weeks is maximum and that's just my opinion. I buy eggs and don't use them all that much / quickly and they last a good while.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

We all know that eggs can be kept for quite awhile. What happens if you think you have had them too long? There's a way of testing them and it works. Very gently place the egg in a cup of water. If it sinks, it is good. If it floats to the top, it is bad! I even check my fresh eggs. You never know!

By annie68 from South Bend, IN

Checking If Eggs Are Still Fresh

Comment Like this photo? 12