Cooking With Farm Fresh Eggs

Category Eggs
When eggs are very fresh, they can look and cook differently than those bought in the stores. This is a guide about cooking with farm fresh eggs.

Why do my chickens lay green eggs and are they safe to eat?

By Curtis from Wallace, NE

Answers

What kind of chickens are they? Some chickens do lay green eggs, I can't remember what kind of chicken it is, but when I was a kid one our neighbors had some of them, while the rest of us had normal chickens. If I remember right the eggs are a little bit smaller than the white or brown eggs are.

Americana's lay green and blue eggs. They are safe to eat, we eat them daily.

Anonymous

Your breed of chickens are probably Easter Egg Americaunas and they'll even lay blue eggs, but it's usually the Standard (pure breed) Americaunas that lay blue eggs and they don't lay green ones at all.

The eggs are definitely safe to eat :-)

My chickens are production reds?

Anonymous

http://www.back  ameraucanas.html

http://www.back  ohn_W_Blehm.html

Different breeds lay different colors. Yes, they are safe to eat and much better tasting than store bought. My son's friends always loved having bright yellow scrambled eggs at our house when they stayed over. "Farm" eggs have a much brighter yellow yolk than "store" bought eggs.

The correct spelling is Araucana. They are not actually a chicken, so to speak, but a pheasant from South America. They will breed with chickens, and they do lay, blue, green, and sometimes yellow eggs. True araucana roosters are tail less they have rounded rumps with long feathers that flow down over them. I once raised chickens for show and breeding and I had a flock of aracaunas for my children.

The Aracana, also known in the USA as a South American Rumpless, is a breed of CHICKEN originating in Chile. The Araucana is often confused with other fowl, especially the Ameraucana and Easter Egger chickens, but has several unusual characteristics which distinguish it. They lay blue or greenish blue eggs, have feather tufts near their ears, and a tail.

The Ameraucana should also lay blue or greenish eggs, but unlike the Araucana it has a tail and possesses muffs and a beard, which are quite different from the tufts of the Araucana, and no feather crest. Muffs and beards provide insulation against the cold. They are downy filoplumes that grow on the face below the eyes, extending to beyond the ears as well as the throat.

Hope this helps clear this up!

The picture of the white chicken is an Araucana.

We have had one farm fresh egg that had a green colored white of the egg. Why? Is it safe to eat?

Linda