What is the Shelf Life of Free Range Farm Eggs?

Category Eggs
Many small farmers and backyard chicken keepers advise that unwashed eggs can be kept at room temperature for up to 30 days. Once washed, according to the University of Wisconsin Extension, they need to be refrigerated at between 35 - 40 degrees F and are typically good for 6 - 8 weeks. This is a guide about, "What is the shelf life of free range farm eggs?".

What is the shelf life of free range farm eggs?

By charlene from Chalfont, PA

Answers

Best Answer

I have organic, free-range eggs on my farm. I have kept eggs as long as four months in the refrigerator and they were still like fresh when I used them.

The key to this is that the eggs can not have been washed. There is a natural waxy coating on an egg that makes the shell impermeable. Nothing can get through that coating, not water, air, feces, nothing. So we don't wash our eggs until I'm either ready to use them or sell them.

I'm sure you could ask the farm how the eggs are handled. Usually, "professional" farms have strict codes they must follow and will probably have a large enough turnover to not need to hold eggs and so will wash them right away, a smaller farm may not wash until you're wanting to buy.

How long can farm fresh eggs be stored after cleaning?

By Walton L.

Answers

I would assume just as long as regular eggs.

I would keep for up to 4 weeks. If in doubt, test the egg by filling a deep bowl of cool water, place the eggs in.

If the eggs float, throw them away, if they stand up, they but still on the bottom they should be used a.s.a.p. if they stay on their side on the bottom they will last longer.