Is Hip Dysplasia Common In Shi Tzu/Maltese?

I have a shitzu/maltese dog and I was wondering if they are known to have hip dysplasia?

Pamela from Saginaw, MI

In general, hips are a problem in larger dogs, such as Shepherds and Great Danes. Small dogs seem to have more internal problems, such as kidney diseases and bladder infections.

Yes, they are so long, I was told that is why.

Hi, I have a shih tzu and was wondering about this also as he seems to walk funny from the rear view. So after reading your post, I googled hip dysplasia shih tzu and went to a site that said yes its hereditary and can be treated by vet. Also, retinal atrophy is genetically linked and can lead to blindness. These little dogs have a tendency to suffer eye injuries so we must be careful with them.Also, thyroid disease can be found in some.

Hope that helps. memaw-Jan

Pets Dogs HealthAugust 5, 2008
Maltese Breed Information and Photos
Shih Tzu
Shih Tzu Breed Information and Photos
Animal Print Heels
Wearing Animal Prints
Photo of a Leonberger.
Caring for a Dog With Hip Dysplasia