Coffee Can Bird House

contest winner icon

I took an empty coffee can, painted it orange then sponged another layer of a different shade of orange to look like stripes on the body. The face was cut out of wood scrap with a hole cut out for the mouth and then I stapled the plastic lid to the wood. I painted a face to match the body. I used L-brackets to attach a string to the top to hang the bird house. The tail is cut from foam and painted to match the body. The colors could be painted to suit your taste. I hung mine out in my yard and it has a nest inside. To clean out the bird house, just take the lid off, clean then put the lid back on.

Very cute. What a creative wonderful idea.

I love this! It is very creative and gave me a good laugh!

This is very cute and creative and would be wonderful just for decoration. I, too, love wild birds and have read articles on different types of houses for them. Warnings are given against using any type of metal, such as a coffee can, for an actual bird house. The heat builds up to deadly levels inside and the baby birds usually suffer and even die - poor mama and papa bird don't know this when they build their nests :-( Maybe you could plug up the hole and just keep it for decoration and find something made of wood or basket material for an actual bird house. I'm sure, with your talent, you could make something equally as cute!

How cute! I may try this myself!

Absolutely love your clever idea, made me chuckle too, a cat`s mouth for the birds, how cute. Bet you could make more and sell them as well. Linda Jonson

This was a great post. I kept saving all my coffee cans, because really I'm a pack rat. I hate to dispose of anything. I saw this and pulled out my cans made 2 yesterday; one is a fall bird feeder painted it in fall colors then I glued fall colored leaves and a gold trim ribbon, finished with a protective coat. The other was a clemson bird feeder the top of the can I cut from wood was a tiger paw turned out really cute. Thanks for the idea.

congratulations on winning!!!!!!!!!!

Homemade Birdhouse
Recycled Birdhouse Ideas
Crafts Garden & Yard Bird FeedersSeptember 27, 2007
A glass hummingbird feeder.
Making a Hummingbird Feeder
Recycled Bird Feeder
Recycled Bird Feeder Ideas
Squirrel Feeder
Making a Squirrel Feeder
Butterfly Feeder
Making a Butterfly Feeder