Flowers Dying After Budding

I am having problems this season with several plants, one a hanging Verbenia and one of several Cone flowers... they bud and then prior to blooming the bud dries up and dies. In the case of the Cone flower it turns black and dies. Can anyone tell me what is going on? Hardiness Zone: 6b Thank you! Fauxpaslover from Martinsburg

Let's try the process of elimination. Does the rest of the plant look okay? Are there spots or yellow leaves? First check for insect damage (specifically mites). If you don't see anything, move on to checking for fungal disease-specifically botrytis blight. I know the east coast has had some severe weather this summer, although I'm not sure how you've been affected. This fungal disease can occur anytime during the growing season, but is most common after extended periods of wet weather. When flower buds are infected, they usually turn black and shrivel up or fail to open. You may also see gray fuzzy growth on other parts of the plant. If flower buds do open, the petals sometimes appear water-soaked or matted. If this sound like it could be the problem, you'll want to remove affected plants to prevent the blight from spreading or treat them with a fungicide. Also, use trickle irrigation, or water early in the day so the plants have time to dry before evening and make sure they are spaced properly so they get good air circulation. Other possibilities might include severe swings in temperature (hot or cold) or too much/too little watering. Without seeing your plant, it's hard to know, but I hope this gives you some ideas.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

We have thrip REAL bad here (MO). Check inside the petals for tiny brown bugs. We have to buy sevin dust or eight(sp??) dust to get rid of them. Look them up on the internet to see them better. Good luck - whatever the problem may be!!

thank you..I will check, theblack is actually the buds that form and then turn black prior to opening, I have been breaking them off and discarding them..

I have used a plant spray to see if that will help...the one plant started this the day after bringing from the the way, spoke to the nursery and they don't have a clue...which ticks me no end and is another story!! thanks again

Home and Garden Gardening FlowersAugust 3, 2006
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
Growing your own wedding flowers.
Growing Your Own Wedding Flowers
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers, A bouquet of fresh cut roses for Valentine's Day
Selecting Valentine's Day Flowers
Eggs in Colored Dye
Other Uses for Easter Egg Dye