CarpetCleaning

Cleaning Old Carpet Stains

How do you clean an old stain on Berber carpet?

Gwyneth from Plant City, FL

Put shaving cream (I use Colgate) on the spot, rub in with your fingers, then use an old wash cloth and rub out the mess. If it's a really tough stain, I use Goop hand cleaner and it works like a charm.

Try Spot Shot. (Blue can with an orange top.)

You can find this at Wal Mart or most supermarkets in the carpet cleaner section.

It's a little pricey, but I haven't found a stain yet that this won't remove.

Go to the pet store and get Nature's Miracle. It works fantastic on old or new stains of any kind.

I use Resolve - it is a miracle solution!

I have really good luck removing my cats old hair balls spitup stains on rugs. Sometimes they are hidden and I dont find them for a long while. I use Woolite carpet cleaner. They sell it in a little squeegie dispenser that has a good "scrubber." The dispensers are not refillable. So I keep a bottle of the Woolite spray on hand and just use the scrubber to work it into the fibers. It gets out the stain and doesnt leave any foamy residue to attract dirt.

Good luck

First things first! What is the stain and what have you tried to use? Don't rely on resolve, this is a oxygen bleach and it will remove dye pigmentation from your carpet. The safest remedy is white vinegar & water. Put the vinegar in a clean spray bottle approx. 6-8 oz the fill water, shake to mix, apply on stain for about 15 min. then blot with a white cotton towel with hot water. If stain is still there try using clear ammonia & water in a spray bottle 6-8 oz mix with water, apply same method as the first step. Make sure the carpet is not wool before you apply the ammonia. You can test this by cutting a loose strand from a corner only! Do a burn test, put the fiber between a tweezer, light it and if smeels like burnt hair or meat it is wool, if you get another reaction then this, it will be synthetic more likely.

Good Luck