Water Moccasins Deterrents

I just found a baby Water Mocassin in my shop. Is there a deterrent I could put in there that would keep them out? I live in central FL. I put moth balls in there afterward but I don't know if they have a sense of smell. Thanks.

According to this site: http://houstonherp.com/SnakesKeyList.htm

"The Western Cottonmouth is often incorrectly referred to as a "water moccasin." Unfortunately, this incorrect name has been used for almost any dark snake found in or near water. "

If the baby snake is a "Water Mocassin" or Western Cottonmouth it is venomous and very dangerous. I think your first problem is identifying the snake. It may be a harmless one and beneficial.

Here is another site that may help you. These people deal with identification and classification of venomous snakes.

Moth balls paralyze snakes lungs. Use lots for the inside and broadcast them all around the outside of the property. Cats outside help case them away but don't plan on that alone. To fumigate the shed, empty a box of the mothballs in side and close the shed up to suffocate the snakes, about a month. Also when you mow; mow from the structures out to help chase them off.

If you can smell cucumbers or watermelon in the area it is likely a copperhead, likely two or more. Always be on the look for snakes and use caution.

We live in east Texas country. We have found two cottonmouths in two days! in our immediate yard. This scares me to death as we have two small boys. How can we keep these snakes at a far distance?

Water Moccasins Deterrents
Home and Garden Pest Control SnakesAugust 25, 2000
Florida pine snake
Identifying Florida Snakes
A Non-Poisonous Garter Snake.
Identifying Non-Poisonous Snakes
Deterring Snakes
A garter snake in grass.
Getting Rid of Garter Snakes