Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Rid of Weevils

What do flour worms look like and how to keep them out of the flour?

By Carlos from NJ

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Beth [25]10/26/2010

And if you have them running through your cabinetry now, look up how to get rid of kitchen weevils on e-how.com. That's how I got rid of mine. It took 3 weeks of diligent and daily work, but I did it!

And store flour in the freezer, especially if you don't use it often. My weevils came from whole wheat flour that was in a plastic storage container that did not seal as well as I thought! I don't use whole wheat flour too often and I learned the hard way.

By Jennifer [29]10/26/2010

Flour and other grain seem to always harbor the eggs of the weevils so if they are a problem where you live, like in a warm climate, keep the flour in the refrigerator or freezer.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Getting Rid of Weevils

Does anyone know how to get rid of weevils? Sometimes they are called cupboard ants. We must have gotten them from the grocery store and now I can't get rid of them. I have bleached the cupboards and I have tried the basil leaves in all the dry products. Finally I have resorted to throwing everything away and storing in plastic bags and containers... yet they are still here.

Mary from Panama City Beach, FL

RE: Getting Rid of Weevils

Freeze the items. Close the dried good bags/boxes tightly or put into airtight containers and put into your freezer, then wash the cabinets/pantry down with bleach water very thoroughly.( May even want to spray bug spray in them.) Wait a day or two then wash out again.

I have heard discussion on this topic and others swear by the freezing and cleaning method. Freezing will kill eggs and the bugs. But you still need to clean the cabinets too, to be sure no eggs or bugs are in them.

Hope this helps. I have been blessed to not have this problem yet, but have been reading more and more about others having them.

It seems bugs of all kinds are becoming rampant all over... Wierd. Brenda-ohio (03/22/2006)

By brenda thompson

RE: Getting Rid of Weevils

You should put bay leaves into your containers instead of basil. I use bay leaves and never have a problem. (03/23/2006)

By Pepsi

RE: Getting Rid of Weevils

Prevention, prevention, prevention... keeping all food in frig or freezer, keeping everything airtight is something we have always had to do in Florida. We also have to hang our trash on a hook at least a few inches from the floor and throw it out to our farthest fence line at least twice a day. As far as garbage, we just throw that way out immediately (anything with an odor). This way you never have to use harsh deet or other chemicals. (09/30/2008)

By DebbyLynn

Archive: Getting Rid of Weevils

How do I get rid of weevils in cupboard?

Bibi

RE: Getting Rid of Weevils

I once got weevils from a bag of flour brought home with a hole in it. Nothing worked, even fumigating with a bug bomb. Finally, I emptied everything out, as with the bug bomb, and sprayed all the seams and cracks in the pantry with a spray can of insecticide. They were living in those cracks, not just the food and that did the trick. Of course, then I washed down the pantry. (11/17/2008)

By Rae

RE: Getting Rid of Weevils

I battled these off and on for years. I used spearmint gum and it would work for a short time. What finally got rid of them, though, was vacuuming. I took everything out and threw away anything that might have bugs in them. I took the crevice tool for my wet/dry vac and vacuumed the whole cabinet. They never came back. (11/17/2008)

By Artlady

Archive: Getting Rid of Weevils

It seems like I have weevils throughout my kitchen, dinning, and living rooms, is that possible? I keep a very clean house. Vacuum daily, clean the bathroom every other day, do laundry daily. I do not keep food out. What are these critters and how do I get rid of them?

By Shan from Kent, WA

RE: Getting Rid of Weevils

I never had problems until I moved into my new house and found them. I now freeze just about everything that comes in the house for 2-3 days before putting in the pantry. Pasta, flour, sugar, oatmeal, crackers, etc. all goes in the freezer. When I first found these I took everything out of the pantry, wiped it down really good and then vacuumed really well including all the cervices and corners.

I then put bay leaves all over and in the corners of each shelf I put a cotton ball soaked in peppermint extract. I put everything in plastic containers or Tupperware/Rubbermaid once open. So far seems to be working, but I still check everything when I open it. You can also buy traps to put in your pantry. (12/09/2009)

By dwutz

RE: Getting Rid of Weevils

Spray the house with bug spray and stay out side for a while. Good luck. (12/10/2009)

By kffrmw88

RE: Getting Rid of Weevils

I had weevils this past summer, although I did not know what they were for the longest time. I live in upstate New York and so I was not readily familiar with them. I would find them on my counter top everyday and couldn't figure out where they were coming from. I cleaned and sprayed and cleaned.

Finally I found the "nest" in a container of flour. Eeek! Everything not in a sealed container went in the garbage outside. Everything else got frozen, just to be safe. I found a kitchen spray at Home Depot that listed all types of weevils (there are so many). I left the cabinet that they were in, plus the one on either side empty for three whole weeks, wiping down and then spraying daily. I got rid of the buggers, but it took patience and work.

So, you really need to know what their source is (nest) and are you positive they are weevils. They are so tiny. My best resource for this problem was www.ehow.com. Look for "how to get rid of weevils" and you will get some very good information. (12/14/2009)

By Beth

Archive: Getting Rid of Weevils

How do I get rid of weevils in my house and pantry areas?

By Jenny from Tomball, TX

RE: Getting Rid of Weevils

What I did was went through everything and threw it away. I sprayed my cupboards and pantry with Raid and waited 30 minutes. I went back and washed ever inch down. The new food I put a bay leaf in and used some sort of Tupperware, or old butter dishes from the butter at the store. Zip lock bags work, too. After that I had no more problems. (01/28/2010)

By eyerishrose

RE: Getting Rid of Weevils

Go to e-how.com and type in how to get rid of kitchen weevils. That's how I got rid of mine. Excellent advice there. (01/30/2010)

By Beth