Keeping Weevils Out of Stored Food

Category Pantry Pests
Weevils can hitchhike into your pantry in boxed dry goods. This is a guide about keeping weevils out of stored food.

Many people I know store their flour, corn meal, cake mixes, etc. in their freezer or refrigerator. While this does keep pests from showing up in the dried goods, it takes up a lot of room in the appliance. An easier way that always works for me is to use Wrigley's Spearmint gum. You take the paper wrap off and leave the foil on. Put 2 or 3 pieces in each container. If there are any eggs or larva, they go inside the foil leaving the rest clear. It also seems to keep new pests from entering. For mixes, I put them into a ziploc bag with the gum. I never have any weevils in my food.

I had simmered down and deboned the carcass of a lovely broasted chicken for soup. The broth was perfect, as was the fresh veggies and spices that I added. Into my pristine soup, I proceeded to pour a box of rice and it was full of weevils.