Keeping Weevils Out of Dried Goods

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 121 Feedbacks

Many people I know store their flour, corn meal, cake mixes, etc. in their freezer or refrigerator. While this does keep pests from showing up in the dried goods, it takes up a lot of room in the appliance. An easier way that always works for me is to use Wrigley's Spearmint gum. You take the paper wrap off and leave the foil on. Put 2 or 3 pieces in each container. If there are any eggs or larva, they go inside the foil leaving the rest clear. It also seems to keep new pests from entering. For mixes, I put them into a ziploc bag with the gum. I never have any weevils in my food.

I am going to try this one out. We get weavils from purchasing dog food and parrot food, and they tend to be irritating, if not aggravating. So I will look forward to doing this!

Dried Bay Leaf in each product, shelf. Can never scatter enough in storage area. The bay leaf will not spread the taste in flour,sugar,Bisciut mix,spices.

Use the cheapest brand... Fiesta spices has a good one.

To keep weevils and all other members of the insect family out of my Pantry, I tape an ordinary Bay Leaf on the underside of the lid of the container used to store my flour etc.
This is a lovely kind natural way to keep the weevils away! Cheap too ;)

Food and Recipes Storage Dry StorageJanuary 16, 2013
🍂
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Keeping-Weevils-Out-of-Dried-Goods.html