Smoothie Recipes

I would like some recipes for smoothies.

Aaron from Woodbridge, VA

For a quick breakfast smoothie use frozen bananas chunked into the blender with some milk, a little sugar, and maybe even some yogurt or honey. The frozen bananas replace ice cubes in other shake recipes, and make it cold and frothy.

By Melanie

Chocolate/Peanut Butter/Banana Smoothie

Put 1 ripe banana (peeled) in your blender. Add one HEAPING Tbsp. peanut butter and one HEAPING Tbsp. of honey (adjust to your taste). Fill container 1/2 full of ice cubes and cover the ice cubes with chocolate soy milk. Blend til smooth. Our favorite smoothie! Tastes like a milk shake, but much healthier!

I make banana smoothies in all flavors. Don't be afraid to experiment. I call these "Skinny shakes" because they are like a milkshake with a lot less calories. I start out with the basic recipe of a ripe banana, a cup of lowfat milk, and as many ice cubes ( a couple at a time) as it takes to make my shake as thick as I like it. To make other flavors, add other ingredients before the ice cubes. These are things that I have used: a couple spoonsful of peanut butter, a squirt or two of sugar free chocolate syrup.. fresh or frozen peaches, strawberries, or blueberries, canned pineapple, Orange juice concentrate.....the list is endless. With most things, the natural sugar in the banana or other fruits is enough, but you could add a little honey, sugar or artificial sweetener if you like

Harlean from Arkansas

To make fruit smoothies use frozen fruits from the grocery store such as strawberries, peaches, mixed fruit, etc. Then blend with vanilla yogurt, ice and a 100% juice of your choice. You can slice and freeze bananas to add to smoothies as well.

Another idea is to blend together ovaltine, peanut butter and yogurt (or milk). It tastes like a Reese's Cup with less fat.

I make these for my boys since they eat too many sweets and are gaining weight, when they want dessert I make these instead. It's much better for them.

Freeze bananas past their prime and make low fat smoothies by blending the banana, vanilla, and a glass of milk. just zap in the microwave for 20 seconds or so to remove the skin (but keep banana frozen). MMMM!

By Karen

I use a cup of mixed frozen berries, some pineapple if I have some, half a banana and some orange juice. I also add some ground flaxseed - about two tablespoonsful. Blend together and if it's too thick, add a little water or more orange juice.Tastes great for breakfast or any time of day.

And Now For Something Completely Different..

a more savory version of the smoothie is a turkish drink. it it plain yogout blended with crushed ice and a bit of salt-

sounds weird I know but it is very refreshing especially with spicy food - in india it is served with a sprinkling of nutmeg or cloves

I buy plain or my favorite vanilla yogurt. I put it in blender with frozen blueberries (good for you too!)

or frozen fruits that you like and add wheatgerm or

dash of honey. We love these in summer and are filling. Also a good one is yogurt, small amount of

milk, banana, cinamon (good for energy) and dash of peanut butter. This one is tasty too and you can

experiment til you find one you like.

Good luck.

Smoothies are a great way to use up leftover fruits, etc. My family especially likes bananas with peanut butter and milk... But you can use banana with and other fruit and milk too. Or use milk with any fruit.. Use your imagination.. You cant make a mistake! Another favorite of ours uses milk and orange juice rather like an Orange Julius... Best of luck.

My personal favorite is 1/2 frozen banana, 4-5 frozen strawberries, cut into smaller pieces; add 6-8 ounces of strawberry-banana flavored carbonated water (calorie free) such as Sam's Choice (Wal-mart brand). Blend well, then add 4-6 crushed ice cubes and continue blending - very thich shake and OH SO GOOD. For a touch of protein to make a quick breakfast cut back on water a bit and add 1/2 cup of Soy milk, or for a real treat, add a tablespoon of chocolate flavored Whey Protein Powder. Unbelieveably delicious - my mother-in-law LOVED it until she found out what I put in it! I have a terrible sweet tooth, so I always add a packet of Splenda for sweetness without all the calories of sugar, honey, fruit juices, etc.

Hope you enjoy it!

For a fast and easy smoothie, if you don't have the time to fix one of these other smoothies, just take a 6-8 oz. container of yogurt & about 8 ozs. of milk in a glass. Stir with a mini whisk. It's better than nothing and makes a quick beverage for a quick breakfast or snack. This version if great for those who'd like to have yogurt, but don't want to take the time to sit and relax with a cup of yogurt or a fast drink for your kids, when they're wanting some sugary drink, give them something nutritious & great for their growing bodies.

I know there are some great smoothie recipes on a cool new site I found:

My son created this recipe

take one ice cream sandwich

glass of milk

whirl in blender....yum!!

I like the fruity ideas, I also like to add some oats to any fruit smoothie for some fiber

Colorful Fruit Smoothies
Fruit Smoothie Recipes
smoothie in glass with a straw
Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie Recipes
Chocolate Banana Smoothie
Chocolate Banana Smoothie Recipes
smoothie in glass
Pineapple Orange Banana Smoothie Recipes
Banana Berry Smoothie
Banana Berry Smoothie Recipes