Three Tier Garden Container

An impressive and fun garden project is a three or four tier container suited to a particular spot in your garden.

I have a slightly shady area, so I chose calla lilies surrounded by English ivy and some tall grasses (behind the lilies) for the topmost (and smallest) pot.

The second larger pot, I filled with impatiens. (Because my project was to sit in front of a section of fencing, it was not necessary to plant anything in the back section of the pot.)

In the bottom (largest) pot, I used hosta on the sides and a bright red and green coleus in the middle area.

The results are amazing, and although planted only a month ago, it is full and lush and all I have to do is pinch off wilted impatiens here and there.

Another great thing about this project is that the pots I bought were very inexpensive plastic ones from WalMart. This is a big savings when you have a whole garden to work on!

Just remember to water as needed. It is very hot where I live, so I water every day.

By Linda from Kernersville, NC

You are right, it does look amazing. What a clever idea. If you live where it freezes in winter, I wonder if the hostas will survive though.

I love it! What a wonderful idea for people that only have a small yard, or a patio, to decorate with. Thank you for sharing your cute idea.

Thank you for this great space-saving planter idea! It should work well on my apartment patio too! And, the low cost is a winning feature, to say the least!

:) Shayla (izzylea), Anaheim, CA

great space saving idea + it LOOKS GOOD !

In addition to that - the draining water would benifit the next level down !

WAY TO GO !

How did you get the pots to sit on each other? It's a beautiful arrangement of the plants. :)) Great idea. :)

Looks great. Another ideas its to use rebar or other "pole. Stick it in the ground and continue to add pots and tip them. To see this lovely effect just google tipsy pots. Really cute and different. I planted some myself this year.

I've made these before. To keep them together, put drainage holes in the bottom, if there aren't any. You can then put a metal rod or a dowel down through the top two pots into the bottom pot. In the bottom pot, turn a small clay pot upside down and insert the dowel or rod into it. You can put a rubber grommett at each pot to keep it from sliding in and out. But, I didn't find this necessary. However, my cat did manage to turn the entire thing over!

Is it put together with threaded rod? I have seen ones that way but the pots do not line up as yours does. Could you explain how you got them to line up?

Great ideas -- and I like the focus on the shade plants. I just found a helpful article on creating a compost pile -- great way to recycle, reuse and enhance your garden.

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/15053.shtml

This is absolutely beautiful. However, I do have questions, are these annuals only?, can you do this with perninnals? what kind of potting soil did you use? can you do this with fragrant blooms? If I wanted to use this technique for my side and front porches, would I have to plant all the way around the pots? Again this is a wonderful idea, I would like to try this, especially being that I prefer container planting over ground planting. I don't like the whole weeding process, and I find that it is easier to water them in pots than in the ground garden.

Container with Plants Attached to Fence
Container Gardening
Home and Garden Gardening ContainerJune 12, 2008
vintage plates glued together to make a tiered serving dish
Making a Two Tier Serving Dish
Flowers in pots on the patio being watered with a watering can.
Watering Container Plants
Container Water Garden
Making a Container Water Garden
Window Box Gardening
Window Box Gardening Tips
🎄