Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Rid of Calluses on Elbow

How do I get rid of a callous on my elbow? I probably developed it from propping my elbow on my desk. I went to dermatologist to have it removed. She said if she removed it may hit a nerve. It gets dry and scaly. All lotion or Vaseline does it soften it.

By txbetty from Lubbock, TX

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Marilyn08/10/2009

100% Shea Butter works for me, not the foo-foo ones with a scent added to it.

By Dorin [4]08/06/2009

After years of dry scaly elbows and trying everything under the sun, I finally bought a tube of Aquaphor healing ointment, and I am so glad I did! After using it just one or two nights after a shower, the skin on my elbows was ticklish it was so soft! I have to say it was a sensation I have never felt before.

Its also really good for chapped lips. I worked with a girl whose dermatologist recommended it for lips because it does not include a drying agent like most lip balms do. Its between four and five dollars for the tube, but a little goes a long way.

By Gina Johnston [12]07/30/2009

Ok, the olive oil trick is a good one, but I would pick a time when that callous is really good and dry and take a smooth foot file to it. File it down however much you can stand (don't draw blood!), and then apply the olive oil (or mix olive and coconut oil) and let it be til it dries out for a couple of days and repeat. That's what I do if my heels get dried out, scaly, calloused and generally disgusting. Good luck!

By Joyce [3]07/30/2009

I have this too on my right "reading elbow", and my dermatologist said it was normal; she has this herself. Mine actually looks bruised sometimes. I have found the best thing is to make a habit of using an oily salt scrub (buy or make) on my damp elbow at the end of bathing. Rinse off and immediately apply a super-nourishing moisturizer (I currently am using Suave Advanced Therapy, but Curel, etc would work). Also, try to avoid leaning on the elbow so much!

By Loretta [18]07/29/2009

Before you totally give up, or try hours of "meditation", (an attempt at humor), try regular applications of good old olive oil, extra virgin is super, then cut off a big old cotton sock and slide a piece of it up over the elbow to keep the oil from staining everything, then after a few times, (days) of doing this, very gently use a simple pumice stone, and I do mean very gently, a little at a time, only working down a bit. Then do the oil again, and so on and so forth. It didn't get there in a day or two, and it won't get off safely that quick either. You do not want the end result to be to damage the nerve like the Dr. warned of. After using the olive oil several times you might be able to rub some of it off with just a rough cloth.

By Colleen Stuchal [4]07/29/2009

Cut lemon in half, dip in sugar or salt and rub your elbow with it, then rinse. This acts like an exfoliator.

By Regina Forbes [2]07/26/2009

If it is a callous, Emu oil works great. I have one on my foot and after using I can really tell the difference.

By kathleen williams [23]07/26/2009

Chronic dry skin has two common causes: hormonal imbalance and nutritional deficiencies. These two factors are also interconnected, since your body depends upon rich nutrition to make and balance its hormones. Hormonal imbalance, such as what typically accompanies menopause and perimenopause, causes dry skin because of declining levels of reproductive hormones that normally stimulate oil glands.

As hormone levels fall, so does oil production, causing skin to become dry, itchy or flakey. Deficiencies in essential fatty acids and other nutrients contribute directly to dry skin by failing to give your skin cells the materials they need to replenish themselves, but can also make women more susceptible to hormonal imbalance, exacerbating the problem. For more info search for your question, good luck.