Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Canning Harvard Beets

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Canning Harvard Beets

A variety of recipes are available for canning beets. This guide is about canning Harvard beets.

Here are questions related to Canning Harvard Beets.

Question: Canning Harvard Beets Recipe

Your recipe for canning Harvard beets has cornstarch in it. All the other recipes for canning Harvard beets says not to can with cornstarch, but to add it at time of serving. I'd like to know it the beets turn out alright with the cornstarch added in the canning?

By Denise P

Question: Canning Harvard Beets

I need a recipe for canning Harvard beets. Thank you.

Elizabeth

Most Recent Answer

By LMay [7]09/30/2010

Beets can be water bathed if they are pickled. I do the spicy pickled beets in the Ball Canning book. Not sure what Harvard beets are but the spicy pickled beets are excellent when chilled.

Solutions: Canning Harvard Beets

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Canning Harvard Beets

I would like a recipe for home canning Harvard beets. I already pickle them, but we like this kind also for a change. Thanks to all.

Joyce from Coffeyville, KS

RE: Canning Harvard Beets

You don't can Harvard Beets, you make them with the pickled beets by adding a bit of cornstarch and sugar to taste to the liquid and let it cook until it thickens a bit and then add the pickled beets. (04/10/2008)

By Wahnoma

Archive: Canning Harvard Beets

Does anyone have a good recipe for canning Harvard beets?

By Ruth from Sweet Valley

RE: Canning Harvard Beets

Canning Harvard Beets

• 6 pounds fresh beets, trimmed
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 8 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • Salt, to taste

Preparations: Remember when preparing beets, trim off all but 1 inch of the roots and the stems. Cooking time may vary, depending on the size of the beet.

1. Simmer the beets, covered in salted water, until tender, about 40 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid.

2. When the beets are cool enough to handle, slip off the skins and cut the beets into a 1/4-inch dice. You should have at least about 12 cups of diced beets. Set aside.

3. In a medium-sized pot, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, vinegar, and reserved beet liquid. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Whisking constantly, cook for 30 seconds or until thickened. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter until melted.

4. Stir in the diced beets and cook to heat through. Season with salt.

Now you can serve some at room temperature, or warm, or can them all using the following method.

Canning Finished Beets:

Fill your clean canning jars with cooled beets, leaving at least 1/2 inch head room in each jar. Put your lids on jars and seal tightly. Process the beets in the jars at a boil for 30 minutes in a hot water bath. Check the jars after they have cooled off to be sure they're all properly sealed. I always take my jars out of the hot water following the processing time, and turn them upside down on towels on my counter for the entire cooling process, my grandmother claimed the jars sealed better by doing this. Put any unsealed containers in the fridge and use within a couple days. (10/19/2009)

By GraphicAngel

RE: Canning Harvard Beets

I've made the solution for Harvard beets and prepared my beets as if I would serve them. The only thing I didn't add was the butter. When I can this, everything is hot and boiling. I put the beets in the jars, then I add that wonderful recipe for Harvard beets boiling to 1" head-space then water bath for 30 minutes. That's what I do. I was just wondering if there was something else out there. Thanks. (10/20/2009)

By love2can

RE: Canning Harvard Beets

If you're looking for a recipe for Harvard beets, just go to the top of the page and click on Harvard beets. Now depending on the amount of beets that you have, just take that recipe 2x or 3x or 4x it. It all depends on how many beets you have. Good luck. Just make sure everything is hot and your solution is boiling. Can water-bath 30mins. shelf life is one year. (10/20/2009)

By love2can