Pickled Beets Recipes

Category Vegetables
Pickled beets are easy to make and delicious to eat. What a great way to preserve the excess beets from your garden. This page contains pickled beets recipes.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

I love these so much! My mom had these around the house all the time when I was growing up! Yum! Love the tangy taste!

• 5-6 lb. beets (depending on size)
  • 1 cup beet juice
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup vinegar
  • spices to taste, using stick cinnamon

Directions:

Simmer beet juice, sugar, vinegar, and spices. Add beets; boil gently a few minutes. It seems the longer these set, the better they taste.

Servings: varies
Prep Time: 5-10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 5 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups vinegar
  • pinch salt

Directions

Boil and pour over beets and seal in jars.

By Robin from Washington, IA

• 5 cans small beets
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 cups beet juice

Directions:

Dissolve sugar in vinegar. Add salt and beet juice. Add beets. Store in refrigerator.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Pickled beets will be ready in minutes with this quick and easy recipe. This is a guide about instant pickled beets.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I would like to make simple beet pickles from canned beets.

By Janet from GA

Answers

Best Answer

Hi Janet, This is my sweet pickling mixture. I make it up and keep it in a half-gallon jar, then use it as needed to make my sweet pickles using Kosher Dills or our favorite pickled beets.

1 Quart apple cider vinegar
20 whole all spice berries
5-6 cups sugar ( I use 6 or more)

Place all ingredients in a stainless steel pot and heat to boiling; stirring all the while to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat allow to cool. Keep it in a glass or plastic bottle or jar...no need to refrigerate. I just keep it in the cabinet and use it as needed.

If you need to make instant pickled beets, place beets in a stainless steel pot and add sweet vinegar just to cover. If you don't like it as tart, then add some of the beet juice and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes covered. Remove from heat and allow to cool. You may refrigerate now, or serve immediately. If the beets are sliced, they should be plenty pickled to suit you. Refrigerate all leftovers along with the liquid. You can add more to it just by adding a little more of the prepared sweet vinegar and another can of drained beets. Keep refrigerated until the next pickled beet attack.

One of us will always drink all the leftover beet liquid. Hope this helps. Julia

Best Answer

Easy pickled beets
1 (14.5 oz) can small beets (Not the pickled kind)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. ground cloves
1/4 onion coarsely chopped

Drain & discard the juice from the beets and place beets in a bowl. In a pan, combine sugar, vinegar, cinnamon, cloves and onion.
Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Pour the mixture over the beets; let cool, then cover and refrigerate for one day before serving. Serve chilled beets.
Makes approximately 2 cups or 4 servings. 160 calories.

Another version of pickled beets

Ingredients

• 1 can sliced beets and juice
  • 1/3 cup brown vinegar
  • 1/3 cup sweetener or sugar

Directions

Put beets and juice in bowl. Add vinegar and sweetener/sugar. Stir well. Refrigerate overnight. Drain before serving. Recipe can be doubled or tripled as much as you want.

Source: My own idea.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL

Answers:

Pickled Beets

That's how I make my beets too, but I add a few thin onion slices. Delicious. (01/20/2009)

By Janet

Pickled Beets

I make something similar. White vinegar works just as well as apple cider vinegar--I'm sure that's what you meant by brown vinegar. I like to add 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon and a pinch of ground cloves. This tastes like the pickled beets that come in a jar from the supermarket. (01/20/2009)

By OliveOyl

Does any one have a recipe for pickled beets?
Thanks,
- Kimberly

Answers:

Recipe for Pickled Beets

Hi Kimberly, you didn't say whether you are using canned beets or freshly cooked ones. I use the following for both. Liquid from 1 can of 16 oz sliced beets. Add water to liquid to make 1 cup . Add 1/2 cup vinegar , 1 cup sugar, 1 stick cinnamon . Bring to boil and pour over beets. Marinate several hours or overnight in refrigerator. Approx. 4 servings . This recipe can also be used for about 5-7 medium sized freshly cooked beets. Use the liquid you cooked the beets in. I usually cook fresh ones. They taste better. Dee (05/30/2002)

By deewalker310

Recipe for Pickled Beets

The recipe Dee sent in is basically the same one I use. Try using brown sugar, it gives them a flavor very like the ones I've had in Amish restaurants in Lancaster. - KayD (06/07/2002)

Recipe for Pickled Beets

Kim, I make pickled beets and they are so good and easy. I use home canned beets that I have fixed with a brine of 1 cup vinegar, 1 cup sugar, and a dash of cayenne pepper. Oh so good!(05/13/2004)

By Theresa