My son left a new stainless steel thermos in a friends car for several days with a small amount of hot chocolate in it. I cleaned out the mold by soaking with bleach but some odor still remains. How do I get out the remaining moldy odor?
Kim from Canada
By Linda W. (Guest Post) 10/14/2005
Try a heavy mixture of boiling water and 1/4 cup dishwasher soap and let it soak overnight, then rinse thoroughly the next day, until all smell of the soap &/Or mold is gone. This may take a few times to completely clean it out.
Kim, from Canada; I use baking soda and water,to get odors out of my thermos, it works everytime. Let it sit, for a while.
Try dissolving a denture cleaning tablet in the thermos with very hot water and let it sit for a while, overnight if possible. Then rinse, and the moldy odor will probably be gone. I use cheap denture cleaning tablets from the dollar stores for a variety of cleaning and deodorizing jobs. They are great for getting hard water stains out of flower vases and other glassware, too.
Tori from Pittsburgh, PA
Try filling the thermos with plain white vinegar and let it set overnight. Then empty it out in the morning and rinse well.
By Kim (Guest Post) 10/19/2005
Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try and will let you know what works.
By MICLE6322aol.com (Guest Post) 11/22/2008
What is the best way to remove coffee stains from my thermos?