Browsing: Cleaning a Thermos

Moldy Odor In a Thermos

My son left a new stainless steel thermos in a friends car for several days with a small amount of hot chocolate in it. I cleaned out the mold by soaking with bleach but some odor still remains. How do I get out the remaining moldy odor?

Kim from Canada

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Try a heavy mixture of boiling water and 1/4 cup dishwasher soap and let it soak overnight, then rinse thoroughly the next day, until all smell of the soap &/Or mold is gone. This may take a few times to completely clean it out.

Kim, from Canada; I use baking soda and water,to get odors out of my thermos, it works everytime. Let it sit, for a while.

Try dissolving a denture cleaning tablet in the thermos with very hot water and let it sit for a while, overnight if possible. Then rinse, and the moldy odor will probably be gone. I use cheap denture cleaning tablets from the dollar stores for a variety of cleaning and deodorizing jobs. They are great for getting hard water stains out of flower vases and other glassware, too.

Tori from Pittsburgh, PA

Try filling the thermos with plain white vinegar and let it set overnight. Then empty it out in the morning and rinse well.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try and will let you know what works.

What is the best way to remove coffee stains from my thermos?

Cleaning a Thermos
Cleaning a Thermos
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesOctober 14, 2005
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Cleaning a Tent, Tent in wet conditions
Cleaning a Tent
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Pile of red cherries.
Storing Cherries
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 10:22:28 AM on 10.0.0.120 in 918 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.