Deodorizing a Non-Removable Refrigerator Drip Pan

This is a guide about deodorizing a non-removable refrigerator drip pan. When you can't remove and clean the drip pan in a refrigerator, you may need to get creative to remove the scum and goo.

January 11, 2011 Flag

My refrigerator has a bad odor coming from the bottom drip pan. The pan is not removable. With my old refrigerator to clean the odor I would put baking powder all over the pan and the odor would be gone. How do I eliminate the odor if the pan is not removable? Thanks.

By Sandra from Houston, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I couldn't remove my drip pan and it smelled. I stuffed an old hand towel in there to soak up any water then I sprayed Lysol with bleach in the pan and added water with vinegar. I let it soak. I then used a small thin paint roller with the long handle and used that to scrub it and soak up the water. Pulled the roller out, squeezed the water out and kept re-rolling until the pan was dry.

Best Answer

Mine had chunks of mold that were crusty. I soaked the moldy bottom of the tray under coils with spray bottle with just water. As it started to fill I would suck it out with a large straw that I duct taped to my shop vac. This worked great, the paint roller got water but not the other stuff.

Perhaps a dead mouse is in the coils.

Here is a short blog that might be helpful to you. There's a guy named Jake there that even shares his appliance repair credentials and gave a couple of answers regarding this problem. If not helpful for you, I would call the manufacturer of the refridgerator:

http://www.appl  ip-pan-odor.html

You are so right! I will agree about this message! It is NOT easy to get to the intended recipient. I have to use a long bristle brush teeth to move forward the awful scum, and now my favorite part of the house is not dead!

Why would any company make a non removable drip tray in the first place. I cleaned mine the same way as Robert s did.

The paint roller idea is Great! Thanks!

They have started making things inaccessible so that consumers cannot do things for themselves and must call for repair. It's the same reason that car engines have been turned sideways and many people can no longer make their own car repairs.

I cannot even pull my frig out from the wall as it's in a narrow area with heavy furniture across from it, so there is just enough space to open the door completely. I was amazed that I couldn't get the drip pan out from the front as I've done with refrigerators for 45 years. It smells like something died in there, especially when I open the freezer door. I'm halfway tempted to pour bleach through the freezer vents at the front to see if that will help. Anyone have suggestions? Thank you.

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesJanuary 22, 2017
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Drip Irrigation System Watering Flowers
Installing a Drip Irrigation System
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Peter Pan Costume
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 8:44:33 PM on 10.0.1.80 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.