Deodorizing a Non-Removable Refrigerator Drip Pan

My refrigerator has a bad odor coming from the bottom drip pan. The pan is not removable. With my old refrigerator to clean the odor I would put baking powder all over the pan and the odor would be gone. How do I eliminate the odor if the pan is not removable? Thanks.

By Sandra from Houston, TX

Best Answer

I couldn't remove my drip pan and it smelled. I stuffed an old hand towel in there to soak up any water then I sprayed Lysol with bleach in the pan and added water with vinegar. I let it soak. I then used a small thin paint roller with the long handle and used that to scrub it and soak up the water. Pulled the roller out, squeezed the water out and kept re-rolling until the pan was dry.

Best Answer

Mine had chunks of mold that were crusty. I soaked the moldy bottom of the tray under coils with spray bottle with just water. As it started to fill I would suck it out with a large straw that I duct taped to my shop vac. This worked great, the paint roller got water but not the other stuff.

Perhaps a dead mouse is in the coils.

You are so right! I will agree about this message! It is NOT easy to get to the intended recipient. I have to use a long bristle brush teeth to move forward the awful scum, and now my favorite part of the house is not dead!

Here is a short blog that might be helpful to you. There's a guy named Jake there that even shares his appliance repair credentials and gave a couple of answers regarding this problem. If not helpful for you, I would call the manufacturer of the refridgerator:

http://www.applianceblog.com/mainfo ... -kenmore-coldspot-drip-pan-odor.html

Why would any company make a non removable drip tray in the first place. I cleaned mine the same way as Robert s did.

The paint roller idea is Great! Thanks!

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJanuary 11, 2011
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Refrigerator Drip Pan Fills with Water
Drip Irrigation System Watering Flowers
Installing a Drip Irrigation System
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Peter Pan Costume
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean
🎉
🎄